• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

I've recently returned from a month long baja trip with my 4wc Kestral on a 03 tundra. It was fantastic down there. It is nice to have the peace of mind getting down on the playa (beaches) with 4wd to get you out. There is a lot of sprinter vans these days. We helped dig a few of these guys out.

My question is; what is the wind velocity max that the popped up 4wc can take? We were in 40mph winds on the beach many of the days with no problems. Anybody ever heard of a 4wc having wind collapse problems? What would be the weak point? What would be the best orientation into the wind?

IMG-0676.jpg

IMG-0734.jpg

#2 Bjammin

Bjammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

We've only been in the wind speed you've listed, but I know that more than one FWC owner has reported accidentally driving down the freeway fully deployed with no problems, so perhaps 70 MPH winds could be the topper?

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

The classic case is the driver on Hwy 395 going north bound at 65 mph against a 40 mph head wind with the top up.

I can't count how many times I've seen both FWC and ATC owners do that.

With me going south bound leaning out the driver's window pointing alternative to my roof and their roof, to no avail.

The roof stayed up for as long as I could see them approaching me and then as they disappeared in my rear view window.

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:54 PM

Nice photos! Where was that? We have had the 2011 Eagle in winds up to 40 + Mph as well all a-ok. if it is possible (in the woods near a lake hard to orient the truck where one wants) on a beach setting I would try to orient it to either of the front two corners so a "V" positioning offering a rear door easy opening, a shelter area and a cleave to there brunt of the wind. takes the stress off the panel and stop the broadside shake.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#5 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

Nomading on the sea of Cortez, baja

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:00 PM

Lucky dawg.... 

Henry David Thoreau

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:05 PM

Since this question comes up time and time again, perhaps a FWC owner would conduct an experiment to find that elusive failure point owners are seeking to know? :)

I have only read here about owners growing concerned during strong winds, some dropping the top to possibly prevent damage. I don't remember anyone reporting an actual failure or damage.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

I've done the 70mph on the highway thing...  :blink:   No issues with the top's strength/stability.  

When parked, think about where the wind is coming from.  Popping the top/up down with a strong wind blowing into the back door could be surprising.

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

I have a speaker stand crank (carried in case I hurt my back) If I ever was in fear of it coming down I'd crank that stand up and go back to sleep!

Henry David Thoreau

#10 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:10 AM

Always interesting to hear about campers going down the road while popped up. I guess I could imagine me doing that sometime, but luckily many years of working around helicopters  and fires has ingrained checklists so deeply in me that I feel nervous if I don't do a walk around and check the latches. Now if I could apply that to the rest of my life, it might go a bit easier!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users