curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:08 AM

Six latches LATCHED.

Five covers CLOSED.

Two vents CLOSED.

But... of course one time I didn't check and it popped up on the freeway. It's amazing what aerodynamics do to a popup, but fortunately FWC did a good job strengthening for high winds, at least from the front.

I hope I don't try driving out of our car port with the top up though... don't think it's designed for that.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#12 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

The only problem I've had with wind was not being able to lower the top when the wind was coming from the rear. Turning the truck around solved the problem.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:21 AM

The only problem I've had with wind was not being able to lower the top when the wind was coming from the rear. Turning the truck around solved the problem.

Close your back door, windows & vents. Open one ceiling vent and turn its fan on high exhaust to put air pressure to your advantage.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

I have a appropriately sized 2X4 that I prop up against the roof as a fail-safe.  I don't want the roof to come down while I am sleeping.  I'm a belt and suspenders guy.

I put a ribbon flag on on my steering wheel to remember the latches before take-off, along with one for remembering to pick up any leveling blocks and one for checking the refrigerator latch.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#15 AdventureDave

AdventureDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Interesting.  I've been in some really nasty winds in Death Valley with no problem - don't know the mph.  My greatest fear was addressed in this discussion - forgetting to put the top down and driving off.  From Day 1 I've taken one of the elastic bands for the top and wrapped it around the steering wheel and the rear view mirror as a warning if I climb in the cab to drive away.  Good to know it is not immediately imploding if it does happen. 

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

Sometimes all the planning still doesn't help. My walkthrough failed me a while back when I left Dunderberg and got to Lee Vining and found the top partially popped up. I'm still unsure what happened, latched the rear and forgot the front? My final go around and missed it? Something distracted me. Probably the dog chasing something distracted me. Good thing these campers are tough.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#17 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

You know Craig, the gods must of been not looking unfavorably at us because I did that too coming back from the coast on 299 a while back. I camped  at one of those steep and awful noisy and loud  USFS camp grounds next to the highway late the night before and  wanted to get out fast that next morning because they were working on the road. Well did my walk around and usual checks but since I had to use my blocks to level up the truck somehow I forgot to make a final check or something-think it was because I was rushing around and trying to get out. Anyway off I took down 299 and about 25 or so many miles later a truck pulled up behind me and started to flash his lights, then passed me and both the driver and passenger started waving their arms out the windows  to pull over. I did and the driver got out and said "Hey you forgot to latch down the your top and it is rocking  up and down and trying to come off!" 

I checked and every clamp but the one inside was not clamped down. More to the point of this thread-Ya know since I left the cg, I kept looking in my rear view mirror because the truck was feeling like I had a low rear  tire or something and even worse I had stopped once right after I left to check them out-but never looked at the top!  And me a very :wacko:  experienced pop-up user for more than 12 years had I  blown it and had done a very rookie thing!!! Thanks to those guys I was saved  from a bad situation turning worse!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 15 January 2019 - 12:04 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

Whoa... I am a at times an over tightened nut about things ... lists and check lists and still I do dumb things when I am in a rush. Helps to know I am not the only one who does stuff like this on occasion. Just gotta learn to laugh at yourself and for me there are a number of opportunities.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:24 PM

<snip>

Just gotta learn to laugh at yourself and for me there are a number of opportunities.

x2 :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:41 AM

Whoa... I am a at times an over tightened nut about things ... lists and check lists and still I do dumb things when I am in a rush. Helps to know I am not the only one who does stuff like this on occasion. Just gotta learn to laugh at yourself and for me there are a number of opportunities.

I think there are a bunch of us that could profit by laughing at ourselves. I’ll put myself in that number.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users