Solar Install on Bobcat, Need Help.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

I have a Bobcat that I purchased new from ATC in 2011. I had them install the wiring for a future solar install, which consisted of a single copper wire. I had often wondered what I was going to do with the negative wire. I recently purchased a 100 watt panel and Wanderer controller from Renogy.

I'm still trying to figure how I can get it to work with the one ATC installed wire. I guess that's not true. If I connect the positive wire from the panel to the ATC copper wire on the roof, then attach this ATC wire to the controller, then attach the negative wire from the panel to the controller, it works fine.

However, what I want to do (as ATC has suggested and what has worked for them in the past), is not to connect the negative wire on the panel to anything, but rather run a copper wire from the negative port on the controller to a ground on the camper, leaving the positive as described above, and ground the panel to the roof. This has not worked for me.

I would really like to take the ATC approach, as I don't want to have to snake the negative wire from the panel on the roof to the controller inside the camper.

Renogy has said in need to run both wires from the panel to the controller to get it to work.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 wildlife2019

wildlife2019

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

If I understand you correctly: You can ground the panel to the roof; but how is the roof continuity (continuous connection) made to the rest of the camper, which as you stated, the controller is to be grounded to?

Citizen of the World

https://nyti.ms/2HghC9D Jan 17, 2019 Vicki Goldberg NYT Art section Ansel Adams

https://www.census.gov/popclock/  "Net gain of one person every 14 seconds"

#3 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

Wildlife, I really don't understand your question.

I grounded the panel to the tubular roof rack, which I thought I really didn't need to do as it, being metal, was already sitting (via the z brackets) on the roof rack. Regardless, I attached a wire to the panel to the roof rack.

Then I ran a wire from the controller to the window of the camper.

Are you saying because the roof is not part of the rest of the camper, that is an issue?

#4 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Wildlife, thinking about what you said, I took the negative wire from the panel, the negative wire from the controller, and touched them both to the window, and it worked! So, in theory if I ground the panel to the camper (not the roof) it should work.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

Rob I also have a Bobcat 09.

When we ordered it I had Marty also run a + wire for  future solar.

When I got around to wire up my 2 panels ,a 45w and a 60w

both from Renogy with I think the same controller you are using.

I decided to use heavier gauge wire then supplied.

I think I used 10 gauge for both positive and negative.

The wires run from the panels through the right rear corner of the roof,

down the interior wall then outside the camper and back in near the right front

turnbuckle opening,to the controller in the battery box.

The panels are also secured to the roof rack.

This has worked well for me.

I diden't ground the panels to the camper just ran the negative wire direct from the panels to the controller.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:55 PM

There may be a negative wire behind the front lifting panel that connects the aluminium roof to the aluminium body frame of the camper. I believe that FWC's and ATC's are alike in this manner.

In this way ATC believes that you only need to have a positive wire from the solar panel to the solar controller AND then you can connect the negative wire from the solar controller to any part of the body frame of the camper, provided the negative wire from the solar panel is connected to the aluminium roof.

I found using the body frame of the camper as a negative connection to be problematic for me.
At the time I was using my Bobcat filled with electronic test equipment and the negative use of the body camper frame made too much background noise. While I'm not an electrical engineer I wonder if that perhaps some of the electrolysis that is evidenced by some camper owners is from using the body frame of the camper as a negative connection?

So, I was in the same boat as you, back when we both got our Bobcats, me in late 2010 and you in early 2011.

What I did was I ran a negative wire from the solar controller all the way up to the solar panel. Like Frank did, but a different route.

The route I used was up to the top of the body frame of the camper (above the battery compartment where my solar controller is located). Then along the side of the cab over-hang behind the thin wall panel to the back of the front lifting panel. I then made sure there was the same type of twist in the wire behind the front lifting panel as all the other wires there (lights, fan, etc.). I  also did a little twist as the wire came out of the lifting panel (see photo below) and then punched a small hole in the roof liner to hide the wire inside the roof liner and fished that wire out of the roof to the solar panel.

gallery_2702_1169_85549.jpg

Yes my roof liner material is different that what ATC uses. I liked this material better, so I gave them enough to do the job. It is very much like what FWC uses, and is flame resistant. If you want to do it this way get ATC to send you a small patch of the roof liner material in an envelope.

Otherwise, just re-read the 1st & 2nd paragraphs above.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 15 January 2019 - 02:32 AM.

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:05 AM

That is crazy that they only ran one wire to the roof for the solar panels, I am not sure what they were thinking.   

There are several major issues with this - one as you found out the return current path from the roof to the camper frame is poor, or nonexistent in your case.  The other issue is that some solar panels are positive ground which requires the charge controller to switch the negative lead from the solar panel.   This means the solar controller can't disconnect the panel from the battery (as they bypass the controller through the camper frame) and you could cook your battery.  Finally, the charge controller can't measure the current from the solar panel (which all MPPT controllers and some PWM controllers need to do) as they typically measure this on the negative leg of the circuit, which would bypass the controller in this configuration.

If at all possible, you definitely want to run two wires to your solar panel.   Hopefully ATC isn't still doing things this way.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

Like Alley-Kat the wires when they enter inside the camper have a BIG loop in them behind the rear lift panel.

So far works great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:17 PM

That is crazy that they only ran one wire to the roof for the solar panels, I am not sure what they were thinking.   

There are several major issues with this - one as you found out the return current path from the roof to the camper frame is poor, or nonexistent in your case.  The other issue is that some solar panels are positive ground which requires the charge controller to switch the negative lead from the solar panel.   This means the solar controller can't disconnect the panel from the battery (as they bypass the controller through the camper frame) and you could cook your battery.  Finally, the charge controller can't measure the current from the solar panel (which all MPPT controllers and some PWM controllers need to do) as they typically measure this on the negative leg of the circuit, which would bypass the controller in this configuration.

If at all possible, you definitely want to run two wires to your solar panel.   Hopefully ATC isn't still doing things this way.

+1

#10 wildlife2019

wildlife2019

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

Are you saying because the roof is not part of the rest of the camper, that is an issue?

Yes, I should have prefaced my original comment by saying that I'm not a Fwc or ATC owner and do not know about there current or past practices with this matter.  In fact I was reluctant to offer up any advice for just that reason.  But I do know that sometimes time is limited, and being ready to work on a project makes the feedback an especially welcome treat. 

Well, it seems that others have more for you to chew on.   I look forward to reading your positive outcome.

Best of luck.  

Citizen of the World

https://nyti.ms/2HghC9D Jan 17, 2019 Vicki Goldberg NYT Art section Ansel Adams

https://www.census.gov/popclock/  "Net gain of one person every 14 seconds"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users