Photo
- - - - -

Grandby Shell build, it takes a Village, a bit more install info, Zero Declination drop down shower curtain

Solar LiFePo4 12v system Storage Front Dinette Fan upgrade Rear camera Table Galley Bed

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:20 PM

Here are screen shots from a Smart Bluetooth Victron solar controller. These were both taken late yesterday, Sun was low, all power to the Camper turned off. Everything at full capacity, 2 -120W panels not engaged.
#1 Device status shown in 3 parts ... Solar W output, Solar voltage & current, Battery voltage, current, state.
#2 - 30 day history of usage with solar input, W & V, min/max by daylight parameters, it registers active vs float

Attached Thumbnails

• D0093D7E-4850-4073-A469-4E5B67E4E396.jpeg
  • 7527B588-5F04-419B-9619-46BA01EEE81A.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 27 July 2019 - 08:44 PM.

#42 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

This is a new purchase, a LiFePo4 50 Ah Battery, that will be multi-tasked. My truck, Camper, canoe, & a bear box, in high bear population areas. I am going to make a Power Box which will enhance portability & multi use. This company, Torque Power, I think, is somehow related/off shoot to Stark Power. It uses the same internal Bluetooth module, the TP App is interchangeable with the SP App. Their pricing did influence my purchase.

Attached Thumbnails

• 32B28336-A034-4CE5-AB1F-A2B3747BD942.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 27 July 2019 - 06:08 PM.

#43 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

The same lead Tech, Max, also works there, same State, N.C. I want to make clear I am only reporting my experiences for the edification of WTW. I have no recommendations to give, I have no history with this, buyer beware. I have taken a full dive into LiFePo4. May it reward me with reliable off the grid energy storage, strictly 12V, with Solar. I inquired, & was told in a pinch, I could hook up this new battery purchase, in parallel, to my existing system. BUT, Max qualified, this Battery is a different generation. It should not be used in conjunction for long term storage. Reason is related to resting voltage & uneven drainage.

Attached Thumbnails

• 51759C89-5A4B-4267-A429-F67729DA4C9A.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 28 July 2019 - 05:48 AM.

#44 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:50 AM

StarkPower Bluetooth LiFePo4 App. I have 100Ah & 50Ah batteries, connected in parallel, in my FWC battery box. I purchased both about 1.5 yrs ago, same generation, parallel compatible.
I am not that handy. When I found out that internal Bluetooth existed in LiFePo4, I saw it as an opportunity. I did not have to buy a Victron battery monitor, mount it or wire it, add it to an already, for me, complicated wiring task. I am now a bit more confident. StarkPower has gone out of business, but, they were in business for some years, & I am happy with my purchase. I followed an earlier FWC post, the op a LiFePo4 pioneer, had owned SP for 2 years & was happy. There were Positive reviews about the company on the net. The owner was a former automotive industry innovator. Oh, also, they were priced ~$150 less than the competition, among several that did not offer Bluetooth. After buying the 1st Battery (100Ah), I had reasons to add more Ah(50) & to have separation. I asked for a discount & received a 15% off coupon code. It helped.
Two issues give me pause ... Will my SP App last “forever”?, 7 years is what I hope/expect. The 2nd issue occurred to me with this post, w/o the use of my phone for some reason, I will have no monitoring capability because I do not have an independent dedicated monitor.
Below are some screen shots taken off my iPhone SP App. #1. Both devices shown. #2 & 3. SOC, voltage, status, health, capacity. #4. Temperature & cycle life. My battery group has been through five cycles. #5. Real time individual cell activity. The tech is cool, it’s internal, it’s live. How long will

everything function at a high rate .....

I'm no LiFePo4 expert, having just purchased my own, and doing a rough install this week for a 5 day outing next weekend... but, the 5 cycles in 1.5 years means that ... yeah, they will last forever.  More or less.  These batteries are good for thousands of cycles!

#45 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:34 AM

Here is one of my last remaining bucket list items, a drop down shower curtain. Outdoor bathing handy & ready. Quick out, quick up. This is about 1/2 the price of the Australian unit that has been out for a couple years. This seems solid, well made. I am happy so far. I will report more in a day or so. I have been following production since it was first thrown out, on FWC Facebook, as a business concept taking root. My wife “pointed” it out to me. I have a 4.5 gal solar shower tank that can be hitch mounted . I need to get them in sync for use.

https://www.zerodeclination.com/

Attached Thumbnails

• 15BAA1D7-8D91-4752-9580-BFD5941F3FA5.jpeg
  • 28657B6B-6391-4680-A9B4-D5F81BD327FB.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 01 February 2020 - 01:44 AM.

#46 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

Shower tent extended. 4 straps offer adjustable length. Basic stakes & guy line included. Positive about the quality is my first impression. Very comparable to the Australian model I viewed at a FWC rally.

Attached Thumbnails

• BA4D1D4D-9754-4038-B791-1897DA835D85.jpeg
  • EF0DD7DD-AF42-48CC-8B10-28D7AD0B5025.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 02 February 2020 - 06:33 PM.

#47 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

Interior, bolt through, mounting view. Following the included instructions (be sure to use the butyl tape) I found the tent to be slightly too snug to the lowered roof after my initial mount attempt. Every roofline may be a snowflake, but I found mine, viewed closely after the fact, to have a slight downward pitch as it approached my front side clamp & also as it approached my rear back clamp. This makes some sense. So, the rear 1/3 length of my tent was right at the edge of my roofline, while the front 2/3 had very slight clearance. For my camper, a 2 5/8” drill spot would have been better than the listed 2.5”.
So, I carefully filed my holes a 1/4” lower, not wider, & after repositioning, it had a bit more breathing room between the top of the tent bag (and more importantly the inner aluminum tent frame) and the lower edge of my roof. I added extra butyl to compress at my drilled holes. A heads up, I had to remove the butyl tape from the rear mounting bar after my first attempt. So, I would recommend to do a dry run w/o the butyl tape. Position & check the bag with needed roof clearance before final positioning & addition of the butyl tape.
The tent foldout frame & infrastructure seems quality. The shower bag has a nice heavy rubberized coating. Overall, this is a great addition for our extended off road adventures.

Attached Thumbnails

• DA713811-F78C-4855-B251-C32A3BDDBA77.jpeg
  • A79A07E7-917D-4E35-BC8E-B08DEA259302.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 03 February 2020 - 05:09 AM.

#48 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

The shower enclosure looks cool.   Looking at their website, they have a FWC mounting option (+$10) but don't specify what it is.  Did you get this,  and can you show how it works?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#49 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

I learned the included install measurements are based on a roof style previous to my 2018 Grandby Shell. So, the lower roof flair may be different with different vintages. I would not recommend going lower than 2 5/8” unless you are intimate with your vintage framework. The top two holes go through my lower tube (of the two tubes) that is welded atop a fascia plate. The lower single hole goes through the fascia. Here is a pic of my Shell driver’s side frame.
The FWC kit has 3 bolts, 3 washers ... the value pieces are the 3 specialized Allen ”tube style” nuts that fit snugly & connect internally, from the inside, with the bolt in the drilled hole. Hardware I believe is stainless. This offers a flush, seamless install. The standard mount is a bracket(s) to attach to a roof rack on Jeep, Van etc. As always, buyer beware, these are my first impressions without length of use. I’m Stoked because this solves a marital issue for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8D679C6B-41C2-42AD-AA82-2F1A44DEE687.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 16 December 2022 - 04:44 PM.

#50 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:19 PM

Further mounting info. The folding shower, frame & bag, is attached to a sizable, rear aluminum, mounting bar. The bar has 2 recessed slots that run the length of the bar. Slide a bolt into the slot & the bolt head is held by the slot. 2 in the upper slot, 1 in the lower. The bolts end up being held in place, for mounting, by the butyl tape. The bolts are inserted into three 5/16” holes drilled through the camper side wall. The tube nut & washer, placed through a hole from inside the camper, with the help of the butyl tape, compress the shower unit against the camper when tightened. Again, do that dry run with the shower. Be happy with the placement in relation to your lowered roof. Place some butyl tape around the bolts to hold them in place for the dry run or they will simply slide freely in the slot.

Edited by Stokeme, 03 February 2020 - 04:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, LiFePo4, 12v system, Storage, Front Dinette, Fan upgrade, Rear camera, Table, Galley, Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users