#1 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Ok, so currently a family of 3, trying to adopt up to a family of 4 at some point.  I'm doing some research trying to figure out what would be the best layout option for 2 adults and 2 kiddos at a table.  Table space also doubles as bed space so thats a consideration too.  Camper would probably only be used 3-4 night trips at most with all of us.

Yes, I imagine that we would be eating outside 95% of the time, but rain, wind and bugs may drive us inside at times.

Think grandby sized camper, what would you do?  I was originally thinking of the couch option, but that seems to encroach quite a bit on aisle space, even more so if its a bed.  The front dinette seems like it would work better.  The side dinette seems to be a two person only option.

Thoughts?

Kevin

#2 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:48 AM

We have a Fleet with the side dinette option. Two persons and the dog on the floor. That is it.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#3 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:26 AM

I have a grandby with couch...4 can seat side by side if needed but there is little room to move around. I would imagine the couch would offer more room than the dinette does but haven't measured it off.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

If indeed you intend to utilize the great outdoors most of the time, perhaps storable “TV trays” would work best. For a more permanent solution, my RV dinette measures 70” wide (E/W in a camper) and 44” deep (N/S in a camper) and converts into a small bed. It’s large enough to fit 4 adults for dinner. That would work in a Grandby sized camper if you custom built storage in the back of the camper.

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 18 January 2019 - 04:36 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

Ghettofab75,

If you don't already have a Grandby, you might take a look at the ATC Cougar as it is 84" wide.  I have an ATC Panther which is the same width and you can squeeze by the table.

I used to have a FWC Ranger which was basically an 8ft long Eagle.  We sat 4 around the table when the weather was bad...

20161105_132820-L.jpg

Here is an aerial view of the Cougar to give you an idea...

Cougar1-M.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

I'm doing some research trying to figure out what would be the best layout option for 2 adults and 2 kiddos at a table.  Table space also doubles as bed space so thats a consideration too.  Camper would probably only be used 3-4 night trips at most with all of us.

Well, for what you ask, I'd have to say Granby (or other brand) for bigger size. And front dinette for a "proper table".

We have the side couch and while I won't say the portable table is useless, I will say I can't see it being much good for kids, in part because of the small size and that it may be too easily knocked about. Plus the front dinette would make a great area to separate people and tasks (more than just eating) - helping  to keep out of each others way as it were in a very small space.

Agree tho, sufficient storage space might be an issue with this layout.

And of course don't know if sleeping arrangement would work for your family ...

#7 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:10 AM

We sold our hawk side dinette and bought a hawk shell specially for this purpose. we have the grandby size front dinette setup so comfortably seats four and sleeps 2.

It’s a good setup for our family.

#8 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I was thinking the layout of the front dinette would help separate space a bit as far as meal prep and those eating.

How long are the front dinette seats? 36"?

As far as sleeping, the little one we have usually sleeps with us when camping anyways for now. We could even possibly do one adult in the top with two kiddos, then one adult in the dinette spot. I'm thinking as they get older they will probably want to sleep outside in a tent anyways.

Kevin

#9 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

I don't even think a Grandby is big enough. I would look for a Keystone, or do all of my eating at Denny's.

cwd

CWDT

#10 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

The Grandby front dinette cushions are 48” long. It sits 4 adults snugly. It will give needed separation. But as the family grows the overall spacing will become challenging. Consider upsizing to the King bed slideout as well. IMO, the FD would be the only floor plan for a Family of four.

Edited by Stokeme, 25 January 2019 - 05:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users