• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

I'm seeing a price of close to 800 USD for 4 Fastguns from etrailer.  Is that about the right price for those?

I was about to post the same question. That price seems outrageous!

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#52 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:06 PM

Now that somebody said it i will agree more money than I could pay.McMasters hardened steel with lock nut for a tenth the price seems a reasonable way to go especially if you buy the ones with the pin instead of a hook.

Edited by buckland, 17 February 2019 - 09:08 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#53 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:19 AM

Check out the happijac qwik load upgrade. A set of four are $113 on Amazon, and they are basically the same thing as the fast guns. You’ll just need to add turnbuckle hooks or eyes of the correct lengths and you’ll be set.
And not sure if they are a standard size, but be sure to match the turnbuckle thread size with the supplied nuts so everything will go together.
2007 FWC Hawk

#54 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:28 AM

I just received a Torklift S9012 Hook to Hook Turnbuckle from Amazon as a spare turnbuckle. It came with two jam nuts. But the Fleet arrived with no jam nuts. I'm surprised FWC doesn't supply jam nuts, at the very least. Hmmm.

When I had my Hawk installed at Boise Spring Works in 2017, the turnbuckles were equipped with lock nuts.  And I was told about the importance of the lock nut when tightening the turnbuckles.  Seems as though this varies among dealers/installation centers.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#55 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:47 AM

I got my 2018 Fleet factory direct without jamnuts. When I showed them my 4 turnbuckles with splayed ends, after just a 25 mph front end collision that caused the cab over to crease my cab,they didn't seem at all concerned. In their own words: "Even in a rollover we've never had a camper fly off of a truck".

#56 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

You can purchased the Torklift Fast Gun Derringers from Amazon for under 200.00 US, then purchase some 1/2" hooks from Fastenal, measure and cut the 1/2" treaded part to the proper length and screw them onto the Derringers, I use one quick link on each camper mount, hook the Fast Guns to the bed eyebolt and upper quick links, clamp down, install lock pins and forget about any problems of turnbuckles coming loose. 

#57 nstad@live.com

nstad@live.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

I have a 2003 Tacoma with Fleet camper on rubber mat. The turnbuckles were continuing to come loose even with constant retightening! Yes, a few bent the hooks and fell off somewhere in the Baja desert. Subsequent investigation revealed that the mounting eyebolts in the bed where pulling the bed sheetmetal up and actually fracturing the metal bed by tearing it. Every effort to tighten the turnbuckles just caused the metal truck bed to deform even more. The current mounting of the camper to the sheet metal bed is not working. It needs to be mounted to the frame. I wish 4WC would address this issue properly and devise a frame mounted system. Any input on where to attach to frame is appreciated. I'm going to install spring loaded turnbuckles from the rear bumper mounting bracket to an appropriate tie down spot on the camper . Not sure about the front mounting. There is tremendous ballistic force exerted on the turnbuckles when hitting a bump so spring loaded makes sense to me as they will "give a bit" then return to static position. Any feedback welcome.

Dave in Baja.

#58 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

Spreading the load makes a big difference.  I installed the latest version of FWC mounting kit (you can retrofit yours by ordering from their very helpful parts dept).  Using huge 4'x 5' 1/4 alum backing plates under the truck bed is much stronger than the more usual fender washers.

Not sure the springs would make much of a difference... how much range/give do they have?

#59 nstad@live.com

nstad@live.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

The Fleet is 2 years old and has the 4x5 plates installed. Still deformed the bed. Don't know how much the spring loaded turnbuckles compress, haven't installed them yet. In the meantime I relocated the bed eye bolts to a more secure location near the frame.

#60 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:50 PM

1/2" 6"x12" 6061 T651 Aluminum Tooling Flat Sheet Plate Bar Mill Stock

I bought this on Amazon when I switched to a 2017 F250 with the aluminum body. 

I cut it into approximately 6" x 4" pieces and replaced the washers underneath.

Cost me $20.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Turnbuckles, open ended, aluminum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users