9 replies to this topic

#1 breeves2245

breeves2245

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBella Vista, AR

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

I've lined up the pros/cons in my mind on buying a used Class B similar to a Winnebago Travato or a one ton long bed with something similar to a Grandby. 

Limited experience with RV's other than my attempt to use my existing 2002 1500 Silverado with 1,300 lbs of payload. I bought a Capri Cowboy Camper to stay close to max payload, it weighted 1,000 lbs. Just was too small and although the truck handled it ok it felt very bulky. Camper choice was very limited due to my step side bed or I would have gotten a Hawk shell. Four Wheel and others could not work with a step side bed. Plus it's got 221k miles on it.

Giving this one more go. Primary activity will be fishing and exploring the small lakes of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas. Pulling an aluminum 16' boat that weighs about 1,200 lbs total with maybe 100 lbs tongue weight. 

Going with a one ton single axle because I don't want payload to even be part of the equation.

I have had limited experience with a truck camper. I sold the Cowboy back to Capri after three months and only a few trips. Pete the owner was great to deal with throughout. With this limited experience I do not know how a camper with around 1,800 lbs to 2,000 lbs would feel on a one ton. I am wanting an unburdened feel. Of course not totally, but I want to feel nimble.

These will be relatively short trips of 300-500 miles or so and three to five day stays.

Class B's look so much more inviting in terms of space and overall comfort. Towing capacity is well within my needs. 

Buying both used. Budget in the 50k range for the Class B or truck/camper.

Anyone with experience with a Class B to share some wisdom on choosing one setup or the other?

Picking-up-the-Cowboy.jpg

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

Howdy

I would find the Class B you want and go fishing.

David Graves

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Hello Breeves2245
My wife loved our Roadtrek, I on the other hand was not such a big fan. I found as I needed to make repairs the parts I needed were no longer made, and as the rv was built with size specific items in it was a pain. The generator was tucked up under the bed, so lying on the ground was how it was serviced. The shower used the entire walk way and if not pitched just right you were mopping water out. The cooking area was tight. Used the camper to go to work sometimes, was ok but kinda big in some parking lots. Try to invision how you will use some of those things when your camping might help.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

I'd go with the Class B unless you really need 4X4 or having a big sleeping area is important to you.

I currently have a '88 Xplorer 230 for sale. The only reason it's for sale is that the bed at 72x48 inches is too small and there really is no way to expand it. Being able to turn the van off and just spin your seat around and be 'home' is pretty nice. Just don't be too tall as Class B's are really not designed for us tall folks

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Class B or a Van-Life style sprinter van conversion seem like they would be much better options for you.   As much as a like my FWC flatbed/Tacoma combination, if I didn't care about serious rough road capability I would much prefer a sprinter van.   

The Class B/ Sprinter van has tons of advantages - hard sided with no need to pop the top, huge sliding door and rear doors for easier access and much less separation between inside and outside, no issue with GVWR,  much more comfortable seating etc.  Particularly in the South East where you don't have snow or huge areas only accessible by four wheel drive, and you have rain and bugs, a van seems so much more practical.    Bed size can be an issue, but if you don't need a full bath, it should be relatively easy to find or build a van with N-S sleeping with plenty of length.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 breeves2245

breeves2245

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Just me and my small dog, so this may be the ticket. This guy does a great job of reviewing Class B's. Plus I can park it in my side drive at home and the POA won't bother me about having an RV showing. Very nimble for a general RV if not on a fishing trip. Just got a healthy raise at work and it's burning a  hole in my pocket.

#7 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:08 AM

I prefer the truck and fwd route. I travel light, 70-80 0n the fwy no problem with a 1500 sierra. Easy to park, easy to maneuver and just what I wanted. Had a van conversion, it felt fat and lazy on the road. Parking was a pain sometmes and I got tired of the rattles and squeaks pretty quick. I would feel different if it was me and family but it isn't so the Granby and truck fit me fine...

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

We looked at some Class B’s when we were deciding what to get.

If it’s just you AND you don’t have any need for 4x4 then a Class B would be a great option. For the two of us I found it to be quite narrow. Winnebago now makes a 4x4 version but they are well over 100k and have had some teething problems. Plus the quality just isn’t there.

Our Hallmark with the North / South bed arrangement sits on a F-350 srw 4x4 and while it’s bigger than a taco we can go just about anywhere we’d like and it provides us with plenty of interior space.

You didn’t mention if this would be a dedicated rig or if you’ll need the truck for other things. If I had to do it over and was willing to spend additional resources I would consider a flatbed version which would provide even more interior space and I could go with a short bed version for more maneuverability.

What ever you do enjoy the adventure!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 breeves2245

breeves2245

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really debating with myself which makes more sense, truck camper or class B. I'll keep the old 2002 Silverado 1500 because it ain't worth much anyway with 221k miles. But it's a great truck, still looks good and no reason I can't get another 50k miles out of it if I needed. 

A new Ram 1 ton and a new or used pop up camper is sure tempting. It would be a dedicated rig for weekend get aways with fishing the primary activity. I got to stick my head in some Class B's to get an idea of how if feels vs a pop up.

I'll be in North Carolina next week and there is an RV dealer up the road from where I will be with some of those Carado Axion's, so I can get an in person look. Would be nice to quit waffling and just get something!

#10 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:49 PM

My two Cents

Over 55 years camping we have owned a class A motorhome, 8 foot Lance camper on a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado(12 years) pulling a ski boat. Camped in tents, truck toppers, Flip-Pac convertible shell (8 years) and now the FWC Eagle shell (going on 7 years).

I bought the FWC to camp in the California deserts. When I get to old to do that type of camping (now age 75) I plan to sell the rig and buy a class B with minimum creature comforts. Budget used around $25K. I'm also considering a early Dodge standard Van and doing a small "hippie" conversion...Queen size bed across the back. Storage Under. Small galley with 2 burner propane stove, sink, basic water system, porta potty, . Engel Fridge, Captain bucket seats and an awning. Probably do that for around $6K.

Motor homes vs trailers

Motor homes, class B'"s , trucks for those folks that stay 2-4 days like to travel around. You can tow a boat or a Jeep . Downside is they have high mechanical repair bills if not driven regularly.

Trailers: Tow it to a spot and leave it for 5-7 days at a time...Mobile cabin.

Campers downside is crawling up into cab over bed. My wife has bad knees. She still is crawling up there though I wonder how many more years she has left doing that ??

With a class B I have a small camper and can drive it as a second car and tow a boat or Jeep or smart car. Lots of options. Mechanically if driven regularly it should hold up like a car over time. AND it hyas Air conditioning and a place to move around during the hot, muggy, summers in the east.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 09 February 2019 - 10:53 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users