#2 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

Wow!

I had heard some rumors but apparently they were true. Hopefully this will,be a positive for Expo going forward.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:21 AM

I think this will be a good thing for OE. It seemed as though they were overwhelmed by the hoards attending. A more experienced team will be good for the cause:)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

I had heard this was a likely possibility.  Roseann and Jonathan created something very special that has probably grown into a full time job.  No doubt taking far too much time away from their true passion, overlanding and adventure travel.

Given the extent OX-West and East have grown the past 5 years  I think the Expo now needs professional event management.

Hopefully, the new owners can find a proper venue on the east coast capable of hosting the event regardless of weather.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#5 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

I hope the new owners give some thought to a location in the "central" area of this great USA just my .02 I've attended on both coasts but ready for new location closer to home :)

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

I imagine it had grown far beyond what either of the Hansons had envisioned or expected. I have not attended (due to scheduling conflicts) since Mormon Lake, and there were always small little hiccups at the Expo that would remind you that this was still a “smallish” gathering rather than an event...I didn’t mind that. But reports out of the East venue, and the reactions from some of the attendees, seemed to really put a damper on the spirit of the original design.

For my part, I want to thank them both for providing a venue that allowed me to grow within our “hobby” and the opportunity to meet like-minded people and make new friends. They created something very special and I hope that carries on with the new organizers.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

I imagine it had grown far beyond what either of the Hansons had envisioned or expected. I have not attended (due to scheduling conflicts) since Mormon Lake, and there were always small little hiccups at the Expo that would remind you that this was still a “smallish” gathering rather than an event...I didn’t mind that. But reports out of the East venue, and the reactions from some of the attendees, seemed to really put a damper on the spirit of the original design.

For my part, I want to thank them both for providing a venue that allowed me to grow within our “hobby” and the opportunity to meet like-minded people and make new friends. They created something very special and I hope that carries on with the new organizers.

Couldn't agree more!

Don't forget Scott Brady owner of Overland Journal and Expedition Portal for putting our "hobby" on the map.

If I'm not mistaken Jonathan Hansen was the editor for many years at Overland Journal.  Departing when he and Roseann came up with the idea for Overland Expo.

All outstanding individuals.  I've had the chance to tell Scott and the Hansen's how much I appreciate what they've done for the sport/hobby.  if not for them, I'd be still camping in a K Mart pup tent or my upgraded USMC Shelter Half and poncho/poncho liner!

Edited by Advmoto18, 23 January 2019 - 09:46 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

Thanks to all of you!

The Expo did absolutely outgrow us. We never intended to be professional event managers; we're writers and conservation workers first. We'll be able to go back to that full-time now, while staying involved with the Expo to teach and hang out with all the friends we've made over the last decade.

I was indeed the founding editor of Overland Journal; however, the Expo is definitely not why I left! Another tale . . .

Edited by JHanson, 24 January 2019 - 12:40 AM.

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:46 AM

Wow, I just hope the spirit remains intact. I hope I don't wander around hearing people say "you should have been here back in the day". I can certainly understand wanting to step back from the day to day operations. What a load of work that must be.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

Thanks to all of you!

The Expo did absolutely outgrow us. We never intended to be professional event managers; we're writers and conservation workers first. We'll be able to go back to that full-time now, while staying involved with the Expo to teach and hang out with all the friends we've made over the last decade.

I was indeed the founding editor of Overland Journal; however, the Expo is definitely not why I left! Another tale . . .

Thanks for the memories!!1 Great experiences each time we visited. Accolades to a fun event that a lot of us look forward to each year. Only the best in your future endeavors... hope to see you on the trails :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users