• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 svbravo

svbravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

Yee hah, here in Australia, we just ordered a new Hawk, will pick up in Montana in March!  Will be carrying on a 3/4 ton truck, yet to be found.  Wondering if there are any hams out there w/ FWC's operating HF mobile on the road?  What are you doing for antennas?  Been thinking that the jack plates might provide good attachment options.  Any special issues presented by the aluminum structure?  A good ground plane?  Any hints welcome.....73, K7ST/VK

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

I run HF mobile with an old Grandby on the truck. I don’t know what kind of HF antenna you plan on using on the rig, but if it’s a screwdriver type, I would not recommend you attach to a jack bracket.  I use a HY-Q 4/80RT antenna, and it weighs close to 10lbs. That weight flexing back and forth continuously would put lots of strain on the aluminum frame.  I chose to mount the HF antenna on the front of the truck.  I have a winch up front so I built a bracket to mount the antenna to the winch assembly. My truck is a diesel, so no ignition noise issues with it mounted up front. I have an older Grandby with the short overhang bed, so still have plenty of room to mount antennas on the roof.  I run a FT-857D driving a Henry KW mobile amp on HF. There’s also a tri-band radio for 2meters, 220, & UHF, along with a CB radio, a separate APRS radio under the back seat, and a scanner. Lots of antennas on the truck and everything works great. Have fun..de K6ON

Attached Thumbnails

• truck_Jan19A.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 svbravo

svbravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

Wow, fantastic setup, Bob. And saw more photos on QRZ. Sweet-as!!!

I agree, the more I consider the hf antenna mount, the jack brackets do seem too flimsy for the expected torque. I like your front mount, do you have any detailed shots of it? My only concern is about it’s vulnerability when driving in any kind of woods. Do you just keep it on when on the open road? In Australia we spent 9 months in the Outback with this 80 series Landcruiser a couple of years ago. Wonderful trip living in the rooftop tent. One day, though, I hit an unexpected branch and shattered the fiberglass whip. Would hate for that to happen with a screwdriver antenna. Ouch!67826202-1A7D-4C1C-A4A6-6E0550EC35B8.jpeg

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:49 PM

Hopefully Bob shows you under his rear seat. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:39 AM

Hopefully Bob shows you under his rear seat. 

:huh: Excuse me?

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#6 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

I leave the antenna on all the time, even in the woods as it's kind of a PITA to remove. The top stainless whip is 54 inches long and very flexible. I hit trees etc with it all the time, and it will bend horizontal without any damage (it's been on the truck 11 years).  I do have a fold-over bracket on the top whip that I use when entering a garage, etc.  I need to update those QRZ photos as they are several years old and  don't show all of the presently installed radios and antennas.

From your picture it seems you already have experience with front mounted antennas.

Attached are a couple pics showing the mount. It's made of welded Stainless Steel. When I first mounted the antenna, I hit a couple trees and bent the mount. After straightening it, I added a large block of plastic against the back of the antenna, and bolted to the mount. A large zip-tie keeps it centered and that eliminated bending the mount further. The Hy-Q antennas are VERY stout to absorb the punishment  I've

given it for 11 years. There's also a pic of the tilt-over on top of the coil. If I can answer any more questions let me know.. de K6ON

Attached Thumbnails

• ant mount2.jpg
  • ant mount1.jpg
  • tit over.jpg

#7 svbravo

svbravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:06 AM

Thanks, Bob, great job on that bracket.  I like the fold over idea.  Went to Hi Q website, looks like a great antenna.  I'll be looking at that route when we arrive in US this spring.  And with the fold down, it could be folded and secured against the camper if on wooded tracks.  Do you know of an antenna with similar performance to the HiQ, but with manual tuning?  I'm willing to forgo the automatic band changing ability for simplicity and cost, if I could find it.  73, de K7ST/VK

#8 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:13 AM

They used to make a manually tuned version, although I haven't looked at their site in quite some time.  I researched several antennas before buying the HI-Q.  No one that I know of makes anything with the "Q" and efficiency of their antennas. HF mobile antennas, at best, are a compromise and low efficient devices.  They seem to have the best specs, and with their military antenna background, make extremely rugged antennas. Yeah, they're expensive, but in this case you really do get what you pay for.  I love mine!  Keep me posted on your mobile install when you get home.  Will be interesting to see what you come up with.  73, de K6ON

#9 svbravo

svbravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:30 AM

dit dit

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:32 AM

My rear seat is piled with crap. Yours is some carefully laid out, 

:huh: Excuse me?

Under the seat, excuse me. I have tons of crap there. You have some beautifully laid out and wired up gear taking up that space. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hams, antennas, hf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users