Photo
- - - - -

When do you think I’ll be able to get my Geezer Pass?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

I turned 62 a couple of days before the government shutdown in December and getting my Geezer Pass was the one thing I actually wanted for my BD. We actually made plans to go to the newly renovated Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk, NC and get it which is the closest place for me to buy it in person...

We still ended up going to the Outer Banks (OBX) for some down time over Christmas but weren’t able to get the pass.

I just went on line and the website is still down.

Do you think I can get it later next week? I want to make sure to get it before the next potential shutdown....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

It probably will not be back up until Monday at the earliest. Monday is the next regular work day for most folks.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#3 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

I believe it is $80 now Eddie.  Price went up on the day of the total eclipse last year.

Still a GREAT deal at $80 (cash or personal check, no credit cards).

Talked to my neighbor this morning whose heading to work at the USFS office in the Francis Marion NF.  They will be back operating normally this morning.  I imagine the same in your location.

Best to call the office you intend to visit and make sure they have a supply of Senior Passes.  Not all locations have the Senior Pass or they might not have any on hand.

Edited by Advmoto18, 28 January 2019 - 12:54 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hi Bill-

Although I live near the BTWashington NM they do not sell passes.
I had hoped to get it online today but as of this writing the site is still down...I’ll try again tomorrow..

Eddie
KO4CPL

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Good news!

I found out that the George Washington and Jefferson National Forrest’s Headquarters is in Roanoke.
I called them today and made an appointment tomorrow to get my Pass!

Hallelujah!

Eddie
KO4CPL

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

Good news!

I found out that the George Washington and Jefferson National Forrest’s Headquarters is in Roanoke.
I called them today and made an appointment tomorrow to get my Pass!

Hallelujah!

Yippee! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

Great to know, Eddie!  

My own experiences with the Fed'ral Gummint since Monday of this week have been confined to dealing with the IRS as a day-in, day-out requirement of my CPA practice. I am pleasantly surprised at the pace at which that particular agency has re-started their work.

Just today I noticed that the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF in Montana is back online with their Facebook page, so that seems to speak well of the USDA Forest Service on the whole when combined with your experience locally today.

Foy

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

In case anyone is interested I’ll update the saga...

When I called to set up my appointment they told me that I would have to pay with a credit card. No problem I thought..

I showed up at the appropriate time and gave the required documentation to the nice lady who told me it would take about 5 minutes...
After a bit she came back to the front desk and said that her card reader wasn’t working and that they would need to call tech support for assistance. I told her no problem as I was in town for the next several hours and would call her when I got through...Four hours later she told me that they still weren’t able to fix it and to call them next week...:-(

When I got up this morning I decided to see if the USGS site was back up and it was so I sent in my application online!

I only hope it gets processed before any further shutdown..:-)

Eddie
KO4CPL

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:36 PM

And the ripple effect continues:(

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

smlobx have you tried going to a BLM office in your area?

There are a lot of places you can drive up to and get a "pass"

Last year just before the price increase  we decided to get a second card for my wife.

There is a local BLM office in our area.

Just went in and gave then $10 and got the card.Zip Zap.

I know this isn't the case everywhere but if you haven't checked it out you should.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users