Photo
- - - - -

When do you think I’ll be able to get my Geezer Pass?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:23 PM

Yippee! :)

Well, half a Yippee!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

smlobx have you tried going to a BLM office in your area?

There are a lot of places you can drive up to and get a "pass"

Last year just before the price increase  we decided to get a second card for my wife.

There is a local BLM office in our area.

Just went in and gave then $10 and got the card.Zip Zap.

I know this isn't the case everywhere but if you haven't checked it out you should.

Frank

Frank, I'd be surprised if there was a BLM field office within 1,500 miles of either Eddie's or my own East Coast homes.  If there are Federal lands administered by the BLM in any East Coast states it would be news to me.  USDA Forest Service and US Army Corps of Engineers offices are our go-to Federal Gummint facilities.  Got my Geezer Pass before the price hike at a USA COE visitor center just 6 miles from my home back in 2016.

Foy

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:45 AM

Frank, I'd be surprised if there was a BLM field office within 1,500 miles of either Eddie's or my own East Coast homes.  If there are Federal lands administered by the BLM in any East Coast states it would be news to me.  USDA Forest Service and US Army Corps of Engineers offices are our go-to Federal Gummint facilities.  Got my Geezer Pass before the price hike at a USA COE visitor center just 6 miles from my home back in 2016.

Foy

https://www.blm.gov/eastern-states

How far from Raleigh to Jupiter Fl?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

https://www.blm.gov/eastern-states

How far from Raleigh to Jupiter Fl?

Paul

Cool!  Mr. Google says it's 725 miles to Jupiter and 787 miles to the Mississippi office.  Other tidbits within the web link you provided say the BLM administers some 31,000 acres within the Southeastern states.  

So, yep, I'm surprised.  Have sure never seen one!  Thanks for looking them up!

Foy

#15 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

The USGS pdf of sites where you can buy passes is interesting.  I was surprised to see there's a BLM field station in Lorton, Virginia that manages two small BLM sites on the lower Potomac River (but they don't sell senior passes)

The list also shows National Wildlife Refuges and Seashores, National Battlefields and Military Parks and Historical Parks, etc... places us geezers may not think to check.   It seems odd that some sites can sell one or more types of the recreational passes but not necessarily all of them.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#16 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:38 PM

Correction:  The BLM manages only 15,000 surface acres throughout the 31 states east of and bordering the Mississippi River, mostly small sites of historical significance such as Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and the historic Chiles home site on Douglas Point, MD. I'd guess the smaller "onseys-twoseys" are not otherwise attached to a larger NP, NM, NF, or NRA so their handling falls to the BLM by default.

A bigger surprise is that the BLM manages the Federal mineral estate of some 30 million acres "in cooperation with other agencies", including bituminous coal and natural gas from shale.  That translates to, I think, the BLM handling mineral leases for mineral estates beneath mostly NF lands in PA and WV and increasingly in OH.  It's no Permian Basin, but the Appalachian Basin has produced oil and gas literally right from the start at Colonel Drake's well in Titusville, PA.  There are oil and gas fields, bituminous and lignite coals, and a full range of base and precious metals prospects within the East Coast states' NF lands.  

Foy

#17 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:46 PM

In case anyone was concerned...I had a great weekend!

On Saturday Terri and I drove up to IAD for our long planned interview with DHS to get our Global Entry Pass. Actually this was the second interview we had set up as the first one was cancelled due to the Gov. shutdown. The interview and background check went well and we were approved!

When we arrived home later that afternoon what did I find in our mailbox? My Geezer Pass!!!

I was in heaven! What a great day!!!

I can’t wait to use it. We have a trip planned for Mesa Verde later this year .....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:46 AM

Congrats smlobx! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users