• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pittdave39

Pittdave39

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:55 AM

Question for those of you that installed your Yakima or Thule roof rails yourself.

The Yakima tracks come in 60” lengths. Did you buy 2 sets to cut and fit? Or go with the shorter 43” and double them up end to end ?

Trying to limit waste and money.

Thanks

#2 Pittdave39

Pittdave39

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

I guess I am asking if anyone has expertise cutting the tracks or splicing them. Or do they just butt together end to end clean and simple.

Thanks

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:11 AM

Mine were factory installed and they just butted 2 tracks for a Granby.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

FWC installed them on my Fleet. They are two 5-foot tracks on each side, just butted together. Not perfectly aligned, but close enough so the nuts can slide through. They used some kind of sticky stuff (butyl rubber tape?) beneath - about 1/8" thick and as wide as the track (maybe 1 1/4"). Sheet metal screws about every 6" hold it - probably in holes that come pre-drilled in the track. The screws go into the roof frame members, not just the aluminum skin.

Mine were a little too far forward for my solar collector install. I had to get the collectors in just the right places relative to the roof vents. I ended up cutting a 6-inch piece off the front of each track and moving it to the rear. The rubber tape came off with the pieces. I added a couple of screws on each side to hold them in place. I put screws in the exposed, unused holes at the front and sealed all the new screws liberally with 3M 4000.

You should be able to do it yourself. The hardest part will probably be figuring where the roof frame members are. Don't forget to slide the nuts into the tracks before you install the end pieces and put in enough nuts for everything you plan to attach to the tracks.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#5 Pittdave39

Pittdave39

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:08 AM

FWC installed them on my Fleet. They are two 5-foot tracks on each side, just butted together. Not perfectly aligned, but close enough so the nuts can slide through. They used some kind of sticky stuff (butyl rubber tape?) beneath - about 1/8" thick and as wide as the track (maybe 1 1/4"). Sheet metal screws about every 6" hold it - probably in holes that come pre-drilled in the track. The screws go into the roof frame members, not just the aluminum skin.

Mine were a little too far forward for my solar collector install. I had to get the collectors in just the right places relative to the roof vents. I ended up cutting a 6-inch piece off the front of each track and moving it to the rear. The rubber tape came off with the pieces. I added a couple of screws on each side to hold them in place. I put screws in the exposed, unused holes at the front and sealed all the new screws liberally with 3M 4000.

You should be able to do it yourself. The hardest part will probably be figuring where the roof frame members are. Don't forget to slide the nuts into the tracks before you install the end pieces and put in enough nuts for everything you plan to attach to the tracks.

- Bernard

Thanks Bernard.

You answered my question. They used stock lengths and just butted the ends together. Seems simple enough. I was worried there may be a splice or joiner piece in between.

I have the mounting part figured and how to find the roof members from articles on here.

Appreciate your response.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users