#1 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

We have a 2016 Fleet w/ 160 solar on roof…mounted on 93 Nissan 4x4, V6… we regularly check our turnbuckles to confirm that they are “tinging” tight…they have not needed any tightening the last 2 or 3 uses of the rig…we just returned from trip that included freeway and state roads—about 600 mile rt… on the return trip we were traveling into a 10-15 mp head/side wind… 5 or 6 times especially on the freeway returning, we experienced the “roof popping” noise…additionally this occurred a couple of times on the 2 lane hiway apparently from wind wash from an oncoming truck…

Do others experience this “roof popping” noise occasionally?  Is this normal?  A post trip inspect showed all mounting screws of the solar secure and the roof secure… Has any one added any wind deflectors that have stopped the problem?  Is the solar panel the main cause (with no deflector)?  Or is the main issue with camper overhand above the truck roof? This remains a mystery to us…has occurred periodically since we purchased... would love to hear from others about their experience with “roof popping” and especially any solutions that may have eliminated…

finally would appreciate any feedback from Stan @ Four Wheel about this problem--who is in the catbird seat to hear back from camper owners…most especially is it normal? anything to worry about? Any possible solutions?  (I know Four Wheel is now installing a lower profile/lighter 160W solar unit)… interested in any and all feedback…thanks

Brad

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:30 PM

We have a 2016 Fleet w/ 160 solar on roof…mounted on 93 Nissan 4x4, V6… we regularly check our turnbuckles to confirm that they are “tinging” tight…they have not needed any tightening the last 2 or 3 uses of the rig…we just returned from trip that included freeway and state roads—about 600 mile rt… on the return trip we were traveling into a 10-15 mp head/side wind… 5 or 6 times especially on the freeway returning, we experienced the “roof popping” noise…additionally this occurred a couple of times on the 2 lane hiway apparently from wind wash from an oncoming truck…

Do others experience this “roof popping” noise occasionally? Is this normal? A post trip inspect showed all mounting screws of the solar secure and the roof secure… Has any one added any wind deflectors that have stopped the problem? Is the solar panel the main cause (with no deflector)? Or is the main issue with camper overhand above the truck roof? This remains a mystery to us…has occurred periodically since we purchased... would love to hear from others about their experience with “roof popping” and especially any solutions that may have eliminated…

finally would appreciate any feedback from Stan @ Four Wheel about this problem--who is in the catbird seat to hear back from camper owners…most especially is it normal? anything to worry about? Any possible solutions? (I know Four Wheel is now installing a lower profile/lighter 160W solar unit)… interested in any and all feedback…thanks
Brad

Yes it happens, but never had it happen driving, camping yes, but only when windy. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

Unfortunately some FWC campers are afflicted with oil canning roofs. We had that problem on our Grandby, and it was hard to get a good nights sleep when it was windy. Because our truck was a noisy diesel, I couldn’t tell you if it occurred while driving, but I suspect it did.

That’s one reason I prefer the old style screwed down roof. I’d call FWC directly.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:24 AM

Perhaps this thread about the one piece FWC Oil Canning Roof will help.

#5 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:36 AM

Just re-read the "Oil Canning..." post of 2014...the issue addressed there was when campers were parked and in a wind...haven't been in a "windy camping" setting yet to experience... but our problem is while driving into a wind or past an oncoming vehicle's wind wash... these are the conditions the popping occurs.. again, on a 4 hour return trip last week, the popping occurred about 5 times--definitely wind related...

Will look for any further comments... will wait to see if Stan from the factory gets in on this before I might call FWC...

#6 Bjammin

Bjammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

If the roof of our Hawk oil-cans while driving, we don't hear it, but we sometimes hear the noise when camped if we open the side window or disturb the passenger side of the camper.  Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

#7 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:32 PM

We have not (at least not that we could hear) experienced any "oil-canning" on our 2017 Fleet. We also have the factory installed 160 watt solar panel on the roof without any wind deflector. Perhaps we just haven't had the right wind conditions.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#8 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:01 AM

Two sleepless night as winter storms passes through. Wind up to 35 mph and maybe higher gusts. Loud popppng and shaking was quite disconcerting. My Grandby has factory aluminum rack and Yakima tracks and 160 watts panel. Roof has Low spots that collects water too.
I tend to think it is a quality control problem at the factory. I have purposely asked other FWC owners about popping and have asked them if popppng was a issue for them. Most do not have popping issues and their roof skin is smooth and flat without low spots.
My Grandby collect so much rain on roof, I have learned not to drive downhill with windows open when taking off after rain event as water pours towards the front and into cabs.
I always say to other who ask if I like my camper and you all know the answer is definitive positive, but when someone asked me the other morning after two windy, sleepless night, I replied that I didn’t like my FWC the last two nights. I guess I was pretty grumpy.
I also am ready to ask the factory if there is any remedy, but I doubt it. Short of replacing entire roof and do it right. Hope to hear from Stan.

#9 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:08 AM

My Grandby is a 2016 model. Was actually a showroom model with everything added. You’d think they would take care in building a floor model, but mine has obvious flaws in the roof and in the cabinetry, minor but unnecessary if they have better quality inspections.

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:02 AM

Best to call Jay, our Service Manager for more details, questions, or advice.

They’ve put him in charge of items like this.

FWC Service — Ask for Jay

530-666-1442

Thank you.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users