31 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

We can all do better than this. Many people reported on a broken down Chevy Tahoe in Dedeckera Canyon, Death Valley National Park, including WTW member Lighthawk in his excellent Death Valley Trip report found here -

Death Valley

Various photos of the repair in progress were posted.

gallery_1902_252_97001.jpg

Unfortunately photos are surfacing of what was left behind.

gallery_1902_252_194951.jpg

Can this be true? Do people still do things like this? Will they return - looks like Utah plates - to remove the axle? Someone hauled a new one it, couldn't the broken one be hauled out?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

I doubt they'll come back for it as you raise a great question.  If they brought in a new one, why not take the old one out?  Probably didn't want to wait but regardless, if the Park Service (probably not working yet) has their license plate, they can probably send them a bill for removal.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

Looking at the pictures it is the same axle. It is just flipped over. Would be great if they would have figured a way to haul it out. After all they did haul it in. People don't surprise me anymore as to what they do or don't do. they might not had room for it and will return for it? Possible?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:03 PM

Hard to tell in the pick but we're they too lazy to even chuck it outta site over a cliff ? gee, kids these days ....

Plate looks clear enough to ID and the axle might be linkable to the vehicle. Improper disposal of a hazardous waste (diff oil) and in a NP ? I hope that still counts for something.

In this case, I wonder if social media's gonna bite ..

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

Would have been great to have taken away the old when the new was brought in,but

look around all the other cars/parts have been left in DV over say 100 years.

Not an excuse for leaving the axle though.

Sad it may well become part of the "artifacts" of DV.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:04 AM

It's difficult to believe that the driver wouldn't think that they could be linked to this event in an Instagram world. So they may well have a plan for removal.

And I don't know what the situation was with the personnel shut down etc in terms of notifying parks staff.

But if the intent is to return or arrange for pick up then the axle left at the side of the road (not down a slope) with a note on it would cut down on speculation. I've often thought about that when coming across an abandoned or crashed vehicle off highway. You have to check, just incase, and you're left hoping everything was ok.

#7 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:37 AM

But...but..."Adventure is Necessary"  

#8 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:44 AM

It's difficult to believe that the driver wouldn't think that they could be linked to this event in an Instagram world. So they may well have a plan for removal.

And I don't know what the situation was with the personnel shut down etc in terms of notifying parks staff.

But if the intent is to return or arrange for pick up then the axle left at the side of the road (not down a slope) with a note on it would cut down on speculation. I've often thought about that when coming across an abandoned or crashed vehicle off highway. You have to check, just incase, and you're left hoping everything was ok.

Well someone brought that spare axle in, so no excuse someone in their party couldn't take the broken one out.  The Tahoe looks to have a nice sturdy roof rack on it, so I see no excuse whatsoever for not taking the garbage back out with them.  Karma, and Facebook, and Instagram can be a mean b1tch......Ill bet they get outed at some point.

#9 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:55 AM

Many years ago we volunteered in  a public area on the Az/Mx border that is a wilderness.

One task was backpacking broken car parts out of the desert after crashes.

Also used a sort of elk carry wheeled cart for the larger stuff.

The wilderness status prevented using the agencies' trucks.

Oh well.

David Graves

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:54 AM

They're heavy, but if you can pack it in you can pack it out.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users