31 replies to this topic

#21 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

Surprisingly I was able to reach out and find him.
In short he had a choice of taking care of his family or bringing the axle back...I’m not going to make any judgement but I was surprised that although he has been in contact with the NPS he did not have a timetable to retrieve the axle.

Here’s the thread on Overland Bound...

https://www.overland...66/#post-302900

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#22 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the link.
IMHO the owner needs to recover his debris, instead of making excuses. Sounds like the OB crew are interested in making a recovery, I hope.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#23 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:59 AM

Yes thank you for the link. He has many excuses why he couldn't take it with him and even more why he cannot go retrieve it. Wonder what kind of penalty would make it worth while for him to actually go get his trash out of the park.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#24 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

Times have changed. He was worried about his family. My dad would have tossed a sleeping bag over the axle and I'd have rode with it. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

As I posted in that thread, Miller Towing in Lone Pine would go get it for a fee. They're probably who DVNP will contact to get it out of there if he doesn't, and then bill him for the job anyway. This is a solvable issue, he just doesn't know how to do so, or truly understand his obligation to resolve it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

^^^
Agreed.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#27 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

^^^
Agreed X2. As much as it might hurt, we have a responsibility to maintain some type of “resources”, either physically or financially, to clean up after ourselves. Kudos for self-reporting to NPS, but quicker action needed.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#28 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

I don't want to come off as an a$$hole, but I completely agree with you. I still don't see why the axle assembly couldn't have been hoisted onto the roof rack (and c'mon now a couple guys could get this job done), strapped down and taken out.

Yes thank you for the link. He has many excuses why he couldn't take it with him and even more why he cannot go retrieve it. Wonder what kind of penalty would make it worth while for him to actually go get his trash out of the park.

#29 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:10 AM

A friend of mine commented tongue in cheek (I hope) "He's got a roof rack. He could've put a family member up there."

Thom

Where does that road go?

#30 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:36 AM

Surprisingly I was able to reach out and find him.
In short he had a choice of taking care of his family or bringing the axle back...I’m not going to make any judgement but I was surprised that although he has been in contact with the NPS he did not have a timetable to retrieve the axle.

Here’s the thread on Overland Bound...

https://www.overland...66/#post-302900

I don't know. Someone had to bring a new axle there and help. Why couldn't the same person haul the broken axle out?

CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users