• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Klb6899

Klb6899

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

Thinking about going to Spring Training in Scottsdale area in March and combining with a camping exploring trip in Arizona. Anyone have suggestions on where to camp? Also are there areas close by to check out wildflowers?

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:39 AM

Howdy

Take a look at the wildflower portion of Desert USA.

David Graves

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:54 PM

I've seen RV's parked in the lots at Salt River Field but don't know what the rules are.  Usury Pass and Lost Dutchman State Park both have campgrounds.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

Mazatzal Wilderness -Four Peaks Wilderness

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#5 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:23 PM

When I’ve gone down for spring training I’ve stayed in rented homes while in Scottsdale, so I’m of no help for any camping in the metro area. I have driven my camper to some ball parks, and they always made me go to a special RV area to park and tailgate, which was great. But here is what I’ve done before and after Scottsdale with the camper.

On the way to Arizona, from Nor Cal, I camped for several days at Anza Borrego. Great camping and I’ve hit wonderful blooms of wildflowers in early March. I’ve found secluded places to camp overnight.

After watching the ballgames Just a few hours south of Phoenix, I’ve camped at Organ Pipes Cactus NM. I’m not huge on developed campsites, but I love the Sonoran Desert and OPCNM has some great and secluded hikes if you’re willing to put some research into it. Also in the same area is the Ajo Scenic Loop (not to be confused with the Scenic Drive in OPCNM) where you have lots of Boondocking choices and some hiking opportunities. Check out: http://www.ajochambe...res-website.pdf

Then if you’re as crazy as me, you can take the long, and I mean long, drive to Tuweep on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which has a nice primitive Campground and a few nice hikes with great views of the Grand Canyon. You need a NPS permit to get in.

Since your in the neighborhood, and I consider anything within a 5 hour drive close by, you can hit the Paria River area, such as Buckskin Gulch, White Pockets and many other roads and places around the area. If you feeling lucky go for the draw at the BLM Headquarters in Kanab and see if you can get a permit for The Wave.

Obviously this is a lot of driving, so pick and choose within your travel parameters. But as I’m sure you are aware, there is just so much to see and do all over the Southwest in March.

Ron

Edited by RONR, 07 February 2019 - 11:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arizona

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users