26 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:56 PM

To add to my post above , I don't pay a dime. It is covered as part of the truck. When it is off, it is covered under my homeowner's policy.

John, if it’s not on your property, it may not be covered under homeowners when off the truck. If you ever do that, check with your agent.

I am haunted by waters

#12 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:59 PM

John, if it’s not on your property, it may not be covered under homeowners when off the truck. If you ever do that, check with your agent.

Thanks Steve. I will follow up to be on the safe side. I did ask the question before as we keep it in a storage place, but a follow up never hurts. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#13 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

I can't recall the insurer at the moment but I have my 2017 Hawk insured up here in BC for a value of $40K Canadian with an annual premium of about $500. Insurance is spendy up here, but for me it is well worth it. Stuff seems to get up and roll away all the time. My concern is that someone wants to steal my truck then just dumps and torches the camper to get it out of the way.

#14 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

Well, that was easy once I got someone at USAA who understood that the camper is not an RV.  And, that its attached to the truck.

BOOM!  They asked for the purchase price and added it to the truck coverage.

No cost increase on the truck policy.

And yes, its covered if off the truck sitting in the driveway at home by homeowners.  No change to homeowners policy either.

It is not covered if taken off the truck somewhere else. For instance, a storage place or out camping.

#15 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

I use Farm Bureau and it seems that it was fairly cheap based on the amount/value you have.  I think I insured my Eagle (2001) for $15k and it was around $100ish.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#16 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:44 PM

Anyone insuring as Part of the Truck. Under USAA.

There is a MAX payout BY STATE.

In CA it's $5000.

Not Nearly enough to cover a FWC. So, Check your STATE RULES. CA calls a slide in camper CARGO, CARGO is max coverage of $5000 without a Rider. USAA would NOT give a Rider over the state maximum to me.

So I got a separate insurance company that actually knows the Camper/RV business very well. They knew what I was trying to insure the second I told them Miller Insurance:

http://www.millerrvi...ts/rv/index.php

#17 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

Thank you knoxswift!

Sounds like I should do some more research just to make sure.  The agent did ask for the purchase price but, they might not actually cover that amount.  Could just be a box they have to fill out on a computer screen and need to ask that question.

#18 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:14 AM

Well, that was easy once I got someone at USAA who understood that the camper is not an RV. And, that its attached to the truck.

BOOM! They asked for the purchase price and added it to the truck coverage.

No cost increase on the truck policy.

And yes, its covered if off the truck sitting in the driveway at home by homeowners. No change to homeowners policy either.

It is not covered if taken off the truck somewhere else. For instance, a storage place or out camping.

I just got off the phone with USAA and they stated that my FWC is covered on the truck as part of the truck, and off the truck at the storage place that I'm under contract with. It would be covered under my homeowner's. I've never had an issue with USAA. He pulled up the policy info and read all of the information concerning the camper.

Edited by longhorn1, 07 February 2019 - 01:06 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#19 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:39 AM

State Farm - When on the truck -  comprehensive and uninsured motorist property damage $1000 deductible for each -  no extra cost.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#20 Pax2525

Pax2525

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:55 AM

I am an insurance agent

there are 2 ways to do it.

You can have it as a stand alone policy much like a traditional RV.

You can also add it to your truck as described above. It would be a minor addition to the truck. Also when off the truck your homeowners "may" cover it. Depends on your carrier. I double asked about that exact scenario and its covered.

I can insure through Foremost or Farmers in CA, AZ or TX. Let me know if you need help

F150 & FWC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users