Photo
- - - - -

what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

what gas engine? 2020 F350:  6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

Hi all 

Any guesses as to the increase in price from the 6.2 L gasser to the 7.3 L gasser?

If it was you (and you didn’t want diesel) what engine would you buy? the 6.2 L gasser or the 7.3 L gasser?

Our plan is to custom order a gasser 2020 F350 with just the options we want, and none that we don’t…. and put a 9.5’ Hallmark pop on it full time. No, we will almost never tow anything. We hate towing.

Diesel doesn’t make sense for us, as it adds a ton to the cost, plus weights a *lot* more than the gas engine, so it effectively reduces our max payload. 
We also like to go far, far off the beaten path, and those places often don’t have diesel to sell. We dont want to worry about range ever.

I am told that our Hallmark, “wet” could be about 3,000 lbs, or maybe a little less (approximately) so I’ll have the F350 built with a lot of carrying capacity. 

So the question comes down to: do we get the tried and true 6.2-liter gas V8, probably around 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque (current specs) 
or do we spend the extra $ to get the new  7.3-liter pushrod V8.

One unknown variable… the new 10 speed transmission sounds nice… that would be nice to have. I wonder if the 6.2L gasser would even be available with the new 10 speed transmission….. Hmmm…

Thanks…. here is a copy paste of some info, from the internet:

and I quote: …”The base (Super Duty) option is a carryover 6.2-liter gasoline V8, which will likely have output ratings similar to the current model's 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque. 

Next up is an all-new 7.3-liter pushrod V8, claimed to be the most powerful gas engine in Super Duty history. 

Finally, there's a new, third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbodiesel V8. It has a new turbo, new internals and a new 36,000-psi fueling system to deliver power; the outgoing engine was rated for 450 hp and 935 lb-ft.

Those engines now mate to a new 10-speed automatic transmission, which weighs just 3.5 pounds more than and fits into the same physical space as the outgoing six-speed. (The base 6.2-liter engine will still be offered with the six-speed on low-cost trims.) 

Ford promises improved efficiency from the new transmission. In addition to the expected Tow/Haul, the 10-speed adds extra driving modes: Slippery, Deep Sand and Snow, and Eco, the last of which feels like a token effort in a heavy-duty pickup truck.”

~~~~~~~

#2 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

Seems likely the hp and torque numbers won't be wildly different and would represent a distinction without a difference. My personal bias steers me to avoid "Version 1.0" of anything, so if the 6.2 is a proven, reliable engine, I'd go that way.

You're of course dead on right about the diesel robbing payload, but I'm curious as to how any single rear wheel F350 can be optioned to carry a 3,000 lb truck camper within its rated payload/GVWR figures. Can you elaborate?

Foy

#3 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

Yes indeed.... without a really specific need, i guess I would be foolish to buy the 1st year of any engine.... I should indeed buy the existing 6.2L, and as much as I would prefer the new transmission, perhaps I should get that as well. :-/

and

if you go to Ford.com you can build just the Ford F350 you want. I dont have specific #'s in front of me .... but with 10 ply E rated tires (and possibly an extra spring) pretty large weight capacities are possible. 

Seems likely the hp and torque numbers won't be wildly different and would represent a distinction without a difference. My personal bias steers me to avoid "Version 1.0" of anything, so if the 6.2 is a proven, reliable engine, I'd go that way.

You're of course dead on right about the diesel robbing payload, but I'm curious as to how any single rear wheel F350 can be optioned to carry a 3,000 lb truck camper within its rated payload/GVWR figures. Can you elaborate?

Foy

#4 62C20

62C20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, Ca.

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

An F-250/350 with single rear wheels can carry a 3k pound camper. It all depends on how you order it. My special ordered regular cab 2017 F-250xl with 4wd and gas engine has stickered payload of 3750 lbs. When I ordered this truck I only selected 5 or 6 options to keep weight and price down. An F-350 would be a good choice if you like lots of options and a bigger cab.

1966 Chevy K20 flatbed

2017 Ford F-250XL 4X4

2018 ATC Cougar

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

I have a 2012 F250 4x4 with a Hawk and am happy with the performance and reliability with the 6.2/6speed setup. I feel like I have all the power I need and the selectable shift 6 speed is excellent. I'm with the others who mentioned avoiding the first year edition of the 7.3,

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:20 AM

If it was you (and you didn’t want diesel) what engine would you buy? the 6.2 L gasser or the 7.3 L gasser?

As of today ?... 7.3L.

With a 3K wet camper I don't be surprised if we used most all the payload. Yes, maybe the whole ~4,300 lbs. So the truck would be running almost constant duty at max GWVR for which the 7.3 - that I understand is to be the replacement for the 6.8L in class 4, 5 trucks - would be well suited. Plus the 7.3 would be a new motor, the 6.2L old.

Yep, I get the first year concerns. But expect a lot of changes for 2020MY. Would rather have a new rather than old engine in a new truck.

Would a 6.2 work ? Yep, don't need a 7.3. But I can go one much better - don't need a truck and camper, believe none of us do.

Bought the diesel we have now for one reason...because I wanted to try one. One "concern" I had over the available gasser at that time was how hard the fuel consumption might be (for us) with just adequate power. The diesel has been good in that we have been able to load it right up, put a little larger tire on and the  fuel economy and power have both been satisfactory. The 6.2 and 7.3 might have disappointing fuel consumption (for us) but for power, at least, I expect the 7.3 would be better than the 6.2.

Edited by klahanie, 10 February 2019 - 06:26 AM.

#7 slus

slus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

I love both of my diesels (7.3 PSD and 6.7 cummins) but I'm going to be very, very tempted to replace the old 7.3 F350 with a new 7.3 gas Super Duty. Shooting from the hip here obviously, but the 10 speed trans is really going to help out the MPGs on the highway and gearing under heavy loads. I also think the new 7.3 gas is going to be a real winner, because I have a feeling it really wasn't designed to compete with the 6.2... it was probably designed to replace the 6.8 Triton V10, which has been basically the king of heavy duty gas engines for like 18 years now. The sheer amount of 6.8s sold in fleet F450 and F550s and basically every Class C RV for the last decade or two means there is a lot riding on this new engine that will probably be replacing it, I'm betting Ford over engineered this thing hoping for another 18 year run. We'll have to wait for more details to know for sure. 

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Hi LA-

As we discussed in our PMs our F-350 diesel with our Hallmark weighs an additional 2500 pounds with EVERYTHING loaded.

Your camper, loaded, will probably weigh more but a gas engine will be several hundred pounds less so overall your gross weight may be similar to mine which is about 10,560. This includes people, clothes, food, water etc.

My crew cab, long bed Larriat has a GVWR of 11,000 so I am well within our rating and suspect that you will be too.

As far as which engine I'm of the opinion to go with the tried and proven 6.2 unless there is some fantastic reason to switch. The ten speed tranny has been getting good reviews so I would try to spec. the truck to include that.

What trim level and cab configuration are you thinking about?

Edited by smlobx, 10 February 2019 - 05:00 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:21 PM

i just read that the F350 will *all* come with the new 10 speed transmission... i can't even get the older 6 speed. Oh well... that decision is made for me. ;-)

J

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:03 AM

In case like me, you missed it... TFL vid on the 7.3L, posted 02/05/19

https://youtu.be/2FtNlfAbc2w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users