52 replies to this topic

#31 Northbynortheast

Northbynortheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

Plus one to what Rogue Juan said.

The customer service at FWC is very poor. Based on my experience with our 2017 Fleet, I’d say their
quality control is slipping. It gives you a pretty lousy feeling when you feel that you’ve bought a premium product,
have multiple problems with it then struggle to get people on the phone who spend most of their time denying the problems
exist, condescending, interested in getting off the phone ASAP. I’ve seen other companies that act like this, they usually don’t last much past this phase in their evolution.

I’m giving some thought to selling our Fleet and ordering a Phoenix.

Wander the west has been an awesome resource in problem solving.

Edited by Northbynortheast, 04 March 2019 - 03:31 PM.

#32 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

Rogue Juan,

I'll say it again.  You and I have nearly the exact same system, including the 2-way refrig.  Main difference is that I did my own solar and refrig install though once I got home.  FWC did not do it on the original build.

With that said, my system has worked flawlessly.  However, mine, and all systems will struggle in overcast conditions and having dual 12 volt batteries help get through those overcast days.

As for FWC, I've had a few struggles with them on simple things like returning phone calls.  My only other gripe is how expensive they are on simple replacement parts.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#33 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:26 PM

I have the dual 12 volts that FWC installed and even with nothing else running but the fridge at a 1 setting, the system still gets down to 12.5 volts on overcast days come 10pm.

#34 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:30 PM

Personally I think you have an issue/defect somewhere in the system and I don't think it's the design of the system.  Something isn't working like it should be.

I can run my refrig all night at a setting of 5 and still wake up with 85% of capacity remaining.

If you're ever down in the SLO area stop by and let's see if we can troubleshoot it.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#35 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:12 AM

FWC in Woodland kept insisting that everything was working according to specs. They told me that FWCs aren't intended for boondocking in overcast weather for more than a few days.

#36 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:18 AM

FWC did my solar and it has proven grossly inefficient and they want $1155 to redo the solar and $700 to switch out my dual 12 volt batteries to dual 6 volts (including modifying the cabinets,so they can fit). I wish I had done it myself.

#37 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:40 AM

We have the same FWC Fleet with the same solar system, batteries and refrigerator set up and are happy with its performance. It does what we expected it to do. 

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#38 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:55 AM

We have a 2014 Grandby with 100w Zamp on the roof and 2 batteries. We also have the energy hog Dometic 80L fridge. We spend days on end in the back country. We have never had issues dealing with FWC. They have always been helpful, return phone calls and e-mails promptly. There is an unwritten rule on these sites about attacking manufacturers. 2014 was the last year with the 100W option. In 2015 they went to 160W. I also you use a CPAP machine and the furnace in cold weather.

Edited by longhorn1, 05 March 2019 - 12:24 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#39 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:24 PM

Plus one to what Rogue Juan said.

The customer service at FWC is very poor. Based on my experience with our 2017 Fleet, I’d say their
quality control is slipping. It gives you a pretty lousy feeling when you feel that you’ve bought a premium product,
have multiple problems with it then struggle to get people on the phone who spend most of their time denying the problems
exist, condescending, interested in getting off the phone ASAP. I’ve seen other companies that act like this, they usually don’t last much past this phase in their evolution.

I’m giving some thought to selling our Fleet and ordering a Phoenix.

Wander the west has been an awesome resource in problem solving.

You should research Phoenix on this sight and Expedition Portal. Be careful what you wish for.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#40 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

You should research Phoenix on this sight and Expedition Portal. Be careful what you wish for.

Here’s the thread on ExPo that caught my attention.

https://www.expediti...-camper.119653/

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users