8 replies to this topic

#1 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

I presently own an FWC Hawk and am thinking of ordering a new 8.0 or 8.5 Alaskan Camper.
I like the design, but the weight, in contrast to an FWC, is alarming. Is there a way the manufacturer can be asked to reduce its weight during the construction process? I want the loaded rig to be within the GVWR, and if possible I would like to avoid having to buy a 1-ton truck to carry the rig.

Edited by LiveLifeNow, 12 February 2019 - 06:16 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:42 PM

That’s a conversation you should have with Bryan Wheat or Rick Baumgartner. Give the factory a shout.

I am haunted by waters

#3 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:38 AM

If you have a 1/2 ton, that won't be a good idea. I did carry an 8' NCO in my F-150 with no suspension issues, but the smaller V8 engine wasn't happy going up I-80 into the Sierras with the loaded camper towing a small 11' aluminum boat on a trailer. Now I have an F-250 3/4 ton with a 460 gasser in it and the truck hardly knows the 8' C/O is there!

If you have a 3/4 ton truck and can find the VIN tag and have the GVWR as well as what each axle is rated fo for YOUR particular outfitted truck since things like extended cabs, 4x4, lon beds will effect those figures so you have to check YOUR truck!

Do some homework and then get Brian to give you some input.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#4 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

I'm seeing the dry weight of a  FWC Hawk ( 6.5 regular bed) @ 1100lb,  Alaskan at @1400lb. Not a heck of a lot of difference. If your vehicle is a newer  1/2 ton your paylout could be between 1400 - 2300, but like mentioned above , your truck probably will not like it..Move up to a 250 and your payload tops out at around 3500lb.

To pay the added expense of having things removed from an Alaskan is working backwards in my mind. 

Good luck

G Vavra

#5 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Kinda like asking how to transport a huge load of cargo by air....you can either get a bigger airplane or carry less cargo. Since chopping up the Alaskan or leaving all your camping gear at home isn't possible, you probably need to go with the bigger truck. In this case, a 3/4 ton truck will be needed to SAFELY carry that Alaskan camper in my estimation.

Nobody ever complained that their truck could carry MORE weight than what they rolled out one morning fully loaded with passengers, food, supplies, camping gear, etc. However, a pretty fair amount of the WTW traffic relates to how to carry MORE weight (camper and all that stuff) when the truck suspension is sagging and a trip over the scales tells you that you have seriously overloaded the rear axle.

Post what the VIN tag weight maximums for front, rear, both axles and that will tell what you are up against.

#6 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:35 PM

Check out this article:
https://www.truckcam...n-alaskan-mini/

#7 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

Now I have an F-250 3/4 ton with a 460 gasser in it and the truck hardly knows the 8' C/O is there!

I bet your wallet knows that 460 is there-- holy housecats!

Good advice you give, all humor aside.

#8 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:56 AM

That’s a conversation you should have with Bryan Wheat or Rick Baumgartner. Give the factory a shout.

^ this. They have a well deserved reputation for helpful communication.

I know they did build to desired length and had flexibility with interior build out. Maybe a shell ? tho, might need some sort of interior for structure.

#9 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

Yup...even though the F-250 hardly knows the Alaskan 8' CO is mounted on it, that extends to the gas mileage as well....about a whopping 9 MPG unless I slow down to 55 or so and are not going into a severe headwind all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users