16 replies to this topic

#11 jrwdlw

jrwdlw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:35 AM

I carry a good plug kit, some patches and a "Baja" patch which is an extra large patch. I also carry a straight and curved tires iron. You haven't lived until you have dis-mounted a tire with a couple of tire irons! I have broken the beads by lowering the drum/disc of the edge of the tire. You can re-seat the beads once repaired with staring fluid or a big ratchet strap around the tire. No a 5 minute job. Plan on a 1/2 day adventure.

+1 on the ratchet strap.  The flammable liquid method can be a little exciting at times.

#12 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

EDIT and I'd add a few extra valve caps to the kit (keep from your old tires or take from your neighbour's car)

Here's some products you might find interesting:

Valve stem caps you can't lose and that also seal the air in even if the valve core fails:

https://www.extremeo... Tire Caps.html

Do pay attention to what they say about the metal to metal problem.  The plastic caps are probably safest.

And if you carry a Hi-Lift Jack, the same company has a bead breaker  that works with it:

https://www.extremeo...Beadbuster.html

This company is also a good source of tire plugs, tire irons, etc.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#13 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

All good suggestions. May I add the Colby emergency Valve stem ? I luckily have not needed yet for myself but have used for a buddy. You will thank me if you ever pop / break a stem :) https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B01NARX3H8

#14 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

JaSAn how do you break the bead with a bottle jack?

Remove valve stem from tire.

Place wheel & tire under truck below frame.

Position bottle jack on tire close to bead but not on wheel and under frame.

Start jacking.  You will have to hold the jack util you get enough pressure to keep jack from moving.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:10 AM

+1 on the ratchet strap.  The flammable liquid method can be a little exciting at times.

The way that I was taught to use flammable liquid for re-seating a tire is:

A ) Make sure the valve core is removed.

B ) Trail a little of the fluid out away from the tire by 6'-8'. This so that you can light it standing back 6 to 8 feet.

I carry a big patch too. Used to carry a tube in the dune buggy days. One of the Dune Buggy Brigade figured out that tubes last a whole lot longer folded up if you put them in an anti-static bag, and use a vacuum 'Seal-A-Meal' type machine on the bag. Seals out the oxygen and shields it from the UV light at the same time.

I get making do with stuff that you normally carry, but one of these makes bead-breaking much easier:

i-WNDWzPs.jpg

That one was made to use a Snap-On 24" breaker bar as it's lever (because its a regularly carried item in the dune buggy), but I've also made one that uses the handle only from a Hi-Lift jack for MISF. With some tires you can break them on the ground as shown, but its far easier if you break it while still bolted to the vehicle.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:44 AM

Well maybe I'll just ride my bicycle out. Never had a job at Les Schwab so if I can't do it with some simple light weight hand tools it's too much for me.  

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:35 AM

That's just it, it can be done with hand tools, they just need to be the right ones or tools modified to do that function too. I've changed 31-10.50 tires using motorcycle tire irons, and though I'm not volunteering to do it again it wasn't as difficult as you might think.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flat tire, emergency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users