Photo
- - - - -

CO / Propane alarm sounding - solutions?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:46 AM

Hi all - I have my 2017 Hawk in the garage for the winter. I did not have it plugged into shore power for a month or so as the chord gets in the way of other garage stuff.  I had the main power button pushed in, so there wasn't much to draw power.  Earlier this week, I noticed the Atwood carbon monoxide / propane chirping.  I checked the Victron BVM, and the volts were about 10, so I plugged it into shore power. 

Since plugging in, the alarm was making 4 chirps every 5 or so seconds with the CO light solid red; the frequency has decreased to 4 chirps every 60 seconds.  The other light is a green power light.  Concerned that there might actually be a CO leak from my water heater or heating unit, I moved another CO detector into the garage and it did not sound an alarm.

So, any suggestions on how to address the alarm are appreciated.  

Thanks,
Karl

Edited by Karlton, 20 February 2019 - 02:47 AM.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:50 AM

You might power off completely, then try it again. Maybe some gentle air over it in case it’s a dust particle issue.

I am haunted by waters

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:10 AM

You shouldn't let your battery go under 12.1-12.3. You need to have the power button on and plug into get your system charged. I have a 2014 and had to replace the propane/CO detector on mine. I don't believe shore power will charge if you have the power button in the off position. Try opening up the camper. I had mine outside, closed up, in hot weather when it started acting up. Hard to believe the unit would go bad on a '17 camper.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:22 AM

I have it plugged in to shore power and the fan on and will check in the morning.  It is in the garage so the beeping isn't a big issue.  Given the winter we are having in North Idaho, it won't emerge from hibernation for a few months!

I am pretty vigilant about the batteries, and was disappointed to see the low voltage reading.  My assumption was that having the power in the off position would result in very little discharge over a month or so.  

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:55 AM

I have it plugged in to shore power and the fan on and will check in the morning. It is in the garage so the beeping isn't a big issue. Given the winter we are having in North Idaho, it won't emerge from hibernation for a few months!

I am pretty vigilant about the batteries, and was disappointed to see the low voltage reading. My assumption was that having the power in the off position would result in very little discharge over a month or so.

Mine is stored outside with the power off, so zero draw. Every 6 weeks I plug in my portable panel. At the 6 week mark, I'm at 12.6. I charge it back up to 13.1. Loading the camper in 2-3 weeks

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:10 AM

I am pretty vigilant about the batteries, and was disappointed to see the low voltage reading.  My assumption was that having the power in the off position would result in very little discharge over a month or so.  

That is indeed surprising.  With zero draw (an you confirm on the Victron BMV?) the batteries should last a long time.  

#7 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

Your information is a little unclear.  If the 12 volt grid is disconnected with the master switch, how can the propane-CO detector chirp the first time (i.e. no power)?  Also, for our camper the 12 volt grid for our camper needs to be turned back on to measure battery voltage and to charge the batteries using shore power.  Propane-CO detector's have historically had poor reliability, i.e. not lasting the 5 year design life.  We had to replace ours prematurely.  In addition,  you have a 12 volt power issue which could be as minor as master switch/circuit breaker settings or as large as an electric short somewhere.  I have mixed up my 12 volt master switch position and/or a 120 volt inverter circuit breaker several times.  My camper is unplugged all winter and the 12 volt master switch off with no larger voltage drops.

Another 12 volt system thought:  one battery could be draining the other, uncommon but possible.  One battery could have a bad cell or simply operate at a lower voltage than the other and so the battery pair would self-discharge.  Charge the batteries and check the "at rest" voltage of each battery isolated from the other.

Edited by iowahiker, 20 February 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#8 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:17 PM

I've unplugged it from shore with a voltage reading of 13.54, and have the main power switch in the off position.  I'll be monitoring voltage over the next few days to monitor change.  Unplugging and turning off stopped the chirping, at least.

Karl 

#9 crashmaster

crashmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGirdwood, Alaska

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:25 AM

Interesting about you voltage dropping with the master switch off.  Mine 2018 Hawk does that as well.  The BMV-712 shows a draw of 0.2A with the master switch off, and I have correctly calibrated it.  The only things I thought taking current with the master switch off was the BMV and MPPT, and I thought that was quite a bit less than 0.2A.  So I assume something else has to be pulling current with the master switch off.

Edited by crashmaster, 21 February 2019 - 12:27 AM.

#10 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:51 AM

I had the same problem with my 2015 Hawk, replaced the detector a year ago and no problems since.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users