16 replies to this topic

#1 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:00 PM

Picked up my new (to me) '85 8' CO in Portland this past weekend.    I found out it's one-owner, with all manuals & paperwork received at purchase.

I also found out the top lowers unevenly and actually bound up when we lowered it for loading (dry lube spray solved that).  Why does it (other than weight distribution) want to lower unevenly?  It has a replacement jack in it, which makes wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it.

More questions to follow after I get some sleep & get to know this thing a little better.

Thanks.

#2 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:27 AM

Next question: I remember my grandfather’s ‘66 F-250 had a four-prong plug on the driver-side of the truck roof for the camper 12V feed.

Where do I get one of those receptacles to install on the truck?

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

Get the info from the camper plug, then look online. eTrailer should have a good selection.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:01 AM

Get the info from the camper plug, then look online. eTrailer should have a good selection.

Thank you for the tip.

I looked in every possibly relevant electrical category there and came up empty. Same with RV Parts Country— nothing. If I was looking for 110V cords, I’d be in business, but this one seems like it might not be obtainable anymore. So be it— I’ll hardwire it.

#5 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

I also found out the top lowers unevenly and actually bound up when we lowered it for loading (dry lube spray solved that).  Why does it (other than weight distribution) want to lower unevenly?  It has a replacement jack in it, which makes wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it.

Take a look at the two 'pinned' threads at the top, dealing with O ring replacement and also with changing fluids.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#6 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

When I am not in the perfect flat space I run into the same issue my solution has been to stand on the tail gate grab the boat rack and at the slowest/ slightly opened jack it is easy to guide not taking a lot of strength and watch the jacks as they lower.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#7 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

Cool-- thanks!

I found lifting on the front of the CO evens it up, but I think that only works when it's out of the truck.

I'll look at those o-ring & fluids again.  I need to replace the o-rings in the NCO, so a refresher won't hurt.

#8 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:29 PM

I spoke too soon: I did find that connector under "towing", not "RV electrical" where I expected to find it.  Anyway, thank you again.

#9 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

If you have a U-Haul nearby, they stock many of the different pin options.

You MUST be on flat ground for this system to raise/lower your top!

Older Alaskans tend to yaw at the rear, meaning the bottom has splayed outwards and that can put a bind on the rear pistons especially in lowering the top. Check to see how the lower door aligns at the top/bottom of the lower section of the Alaskan. If you detect splaying, then you can do as I did and get some shims to evenly close the gap. Use your jacks to raise the rear just a tad and you will probably see that yawing/gap diminish. Insert a shim on each rear corner and drive it in snugly. Now lower the camper down and check to see if you have now aligned the top/bottom of the lower door with the door jam...if you did, great, if not, you need thicker and longer shims! Once you see that alignment is good, try raising and lowering the top again and see if it goes easier. I still have to open the petcock on the pump and pull down a little on the rear on my '76 CO.

Now....Try bleeding the four lines as you would car brakes; starting with the one farthest from the pump. Be sure to keep an eye on the level of fluid in the pump reservoir! 

If bleeding does not help and aligning doesn't either, then new O-rings are needed. Buy them from Brian at Alaskan to insure you get the correct dimension ones.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#10 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

If you have a U-Haul nearby, they stock many of the different pin options.

You MUST be on flat ground for this system to raise/lower your top!

Older Alaskans tend to yaw at the rear, meaning the bottom has splayed outwards and that can put a bind on the rear pistons especially in lowering the top. Check to see how the lower door aligns at the top/bottom of the lower section of the Alaskan. If you detect splaying, then you can do as I did and get some shims to evenly close the gap. Use your jacks to raise the rear just a tad and you will probably see that yawing/gap diminish. Insert a shim on each rear corner and drive it in snugly. Now lower the camper down and check to see if you have now aligned the top/bottom of the lower door with the door jam...if you did, great, if not, you need thicker and longer shims! Once you see that alignment is good, try raising and lowering the top again and see if it goes easier. I still have to open the petcock on the pump and pull down a little on the rear on my '76 CO.

Now....Try bleeding the four lines as you would car brakes; starting with the one farthest from the pump. Be sure to keep an eye on the level of fluid in the pump reservoir! 

If bleeding does not help and aligning doesn't either, then new O-rings are needed. Buy them from Brian at Alaskan to insure you get the correct dimension ones.

It was dead level when we lowered it in Portland prior to setting out for home, but, like I say, some spray lube pretty much solved that.

I'll refer to this when I get it up to WY on a level surface; right now, it's sitting in my buddy's sloped driveway, raised only enough to clear the tops of the jacks.

I did in fact find those 4-pin plugs, but there's a U-haul store about a mile from the camper, so I'll check there before ordering them.

Thanks for the info as always, PR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users