Photo
- - - - -

Correct fridge replacement for Ranger 2?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:57 PM

Hello!

I’ve spent the last month or so in my Ranger 2 both in winter storm and summer conditions. I’m starting to think I’d actually like a fridge. The fridge in mine was removed by a prior owner.

Can anyone recommend a fridge for this unit? Should I just find a two or three-way with the right measurements?

Cheers!

#2 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

I ended up removing the 3 way fridge in my old grandby after going thru 2 of them with very poor results.  Granted they were both used but I could never seem to get the truck level enough or the temperature consistent enough to see any advantage over a quality cooler and ice...  I ended up scrapping both of them and getting a TruckFridge compressor style freezer/fridge and never looked back.  It sits comfortably where the old Dometic did and I've never had one issue in almost 3 years now.  It's truly a set and forget type of deal.  My 100w solar panel keeps it and the battery plenty happy.  Opinions will probably vary wildly on this but thats my 2 cents.  good luck.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#3 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

I ended up removing the 3 way fridge in my old grandby after going thru 2 of them with very poor results.  Granted they were both used but I could never seem to get the truck level enough or the temperature consistent enough to see any advantage over a quality cooler and ice...  I ended up scrapping both of them and getting a TruckFridge compressor style freezer/fridge and never looked back.  It sits comfortably where the old Dometic did and I've never had one issue in almost 3 years now.  It's truly a set and forget type of deal.  My 100w solar panel keeps it and the battery plenty happy.  Opinions will probably vary wildly on this but thats my 2 cents.  good luck.

Got a link to your fridge? And what battery do you have?

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

What is your interior set-up. If I could change and had the space, I would go with the Dometic top loader, you can use either side or both. Put it on a slide. You can set it up on your phone. Need 2 batteries and solar for the compressor fridges. The Dometic top loader $$$$

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

What is your interior set-up. If I could change and had the space, I would go with the Dometic top loader, you can use either side or both. Put it on a slide. You can set it up on your phone. Need 2 batteries and solar for the compressor fridges. The Dometic top loader $$$$

I'll be gutting this shell in a couple of years, but for now it's a side-loader. I suppose I could easily remove the counter-top above the fridge if needed. Here is a photo:

IMG_0164.jpeg

#6 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

Got a link to your fridge? And what battery do you have?

I have the TB51 fridge that runs of a single Cabelas Advanced Anglers AGM battery size 30.  I've had zero low voltage issues with a family of 4 living out of a Grandby for up to 2 weeks at a time. The battery is about 2 years old.

https://www.truckfri...rator-freezers/

#7 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

I have the TB51 fridge that runs of a single Cabelas Advanced Anglers AGM battery size 30. I've had zero low voltage issues with a family of 4 living out of a Grandby for up to 2 weeks at a time. The battery is about 2 years old.

https://www.truckfri...rator-freezers/

Good to know, basically the same setup I am planning on...

#8 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

WyoIDI, How well does it keep up on really hot days camping?

Edited by oldhotrod, 28 February 2019 - 02:53 PM.

#9 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:56 PM

WyoIDI, How well does it keep up on really hot days camping?

We tend to avoid really hot places.  We usually head north or up into the mountains in the summer.  We've been in some really hot weather in central Oregon and it did fine, which is good because we had a lot of local craft beer stuffed in it.  The fridge has never given me the low voltage warning.  We usually don't stay in one place too long, maybe 2-3 days tops so the truck helps out a little with charging too.  So far so good.  I got about 5 years out of my last cabelas agm battery before I found a great deal on the same but bigger 30 size battery, I figure it couldn't hurt. 

#10 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

So I bought the Dometic 2193RB from Amazon - arrived in 2 days despite their projection of 7-10 - and it slipped right into the old space with just having to remove one piece of original trim. Pretty sweet.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to protect the exposed side from wind while driving and below freezing temps overall. Has anyone ever put some kind of a barrier between the controls and burner and the vents? At present it won’t stay lit if I drive even a little ways or if there is a gust of wind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users