• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:28 AM

As an update to losing my rear camera when you remove your tailgate to put your camper in, I found a solution.  This will plug into the empty plug when you remove your tailgate and restore the rear camera.

I also bought the license plate camera to go along with the OEM plug. This works perfectly for a 2015-2019 Ford f150.

https://www.rearview...em-harness.html

As a side note to the moderators who randomly move posts around I think this post best fits into the four wheel camper forum, it's a common problem that people have as soon as they remove their tailgate.

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#12 kramme

kramme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:37 AM

Glad you shared you purchased one, seems like a good solution and easy.  I am getting a similar cable but for our F250 and a camera that is on the license plate when they are back in stock. Sounds like the same one from RVS that you have.   :)

https://www.rearview...-6380-c-hd.html

2019 F250 and Hawk (Woolrich Edition)

#13 kramme

kramme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:14 AM

"As an update to losing my rear camera when you remove your tailgate to put your camper in, I found a solution.  This will plug into the empty plug when you remove your tailgate and restore the rear camera.

I also bought the license plate camera to go along with the OEM plug. This works perfectly for a 2015-2019 Ford f150.

https://www.rearview...em-harness.html"

Question bsharp007  - is this the license plate frame you purchased? If so what is the length of cable you needed? I am assuming 66 ft and then you cut it?

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/backup-camera-systems/backup-cameras/compact-backup-cameras/hd-170-license-plate-backup-camera-with-24-infra-red-illuminators-rvs-6380-c-hd.html

Edited by kramme, 10 March 2019 - 02:17 AM.

#14 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:01 AM

I went with the license plate camera and the shortest legnth available I think 15'.  The plug is right next to the spare tire so a very short distance to the camera, I ziptied the 15' in the bumper out of the way and left the end of the plug near where it can plug into the empty plug when the tailgate is off.

Btw it works perfect, the camera is as good as the original one in the tailgate.

Took me about 15 minutes setting up.  I put a peice of duct tape over whichever plug is not being used just in case of water.

#15 kramme

kramme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:14 AM

Sounds exactly what we need and we want it simple!  I only see the 66 foot or the site I found , do you recall which license plate camera you got that had the nice short plug?

Ignore - looked better and saw the 16 footer - as soon as they are back in stock - it will be purchased!

Edited by kramme, 10 March 2019 - 07:42 PM.

#16 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:59 AM

https://www.rearview...em-harness.html

You need this OEM harness that comes in a 15' fixed length and the license plate camera, the camera will ask you to chose which length you want, I chose the shortest length possible.  You will likely have a bunch of excess cord that will require you zip tying it out of the way.

Edited by bsharp007, 11 March 2019 - 03:05 AM.

#17 kramme

kramme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

All ordered! Many thanks!

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

I hope this is on topic:

It seems a lot of folks are asking about replacement backup cameras, to compensate for taking the tailgate off and losing the stock camera.  Others are wondering about installing them on rigs that never had one to start with (I did this, love it for backing up).

What about camera/displays that are designed specifically to replace the optical rear view mirror?  I'd like some options there, since looking back through the camper while driving doesn't give the best overview of what's behind me.  I'm also thinking of folks that have rigs with no window on the front to see through.

Anyone have any experience using their backup camera as a "rear view" mirror replacement?

#19 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

Yes. I just installed one of these in my camper and  one in my sister's Class B. I like it. It has all kinds of functions, but I .only use the rear camera and GPS. It has front camera, Bluetooth, music, and even movies.

CWDT

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

which one did you get?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users