15 replies to this topic

#1 SD_Beaker

SD_Beaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

I have begun the quest for figuring out what to do to help my rear end on my '08 Tundra.  Sorry for the long winded details, but from my searching, I have a very typical setup and I could not find any great answers. 

A few details:

1. I have a nicely appointed Hawk on my '08 Tundra (Double cab, 5.7L, TRD, 4x4, Tow Package). 

2. Per FWC weight list, it's right at 1,373#.  My capacity is 1,520 #.  As I usually carry trout rods or surfboards I'm just at 100%.

3. I have Firestone Airbags.  These work fine on highways but off road they are very limited in articulation.  

4. When I got the truck, there was a spacer leveling kit installed (Rough Country 87000 2.5-inch - 3-inch Suspension Leveling Lift Kit for Toyota: 07-18 Tundra 4WD).  When my Hawk was on, I could not reach the top to put my surfboards on (see my solution for that at: Loading / Unloading Roof racks here at WTW) so I came up with a fix.

5. I then removed the leveling kit, and at 6'5" I can just reach up for the boards now!  

What I want is:

A. Remove the air bags for better off road travel

B. Keep stock height.

"Kevin" from FB FWC did ARB Dakar springs with two Add-a-Spring on each side.  According to him this is great; however, it adds about 2.5" in the rear.  Not the 'end of the world' but it does conflict with desire B.  I've reached out to 2 suspension shops, and it appears that B causes quite a bit of challenge. They are looking into it, but have come up with nothing.

Now for question: Can anyone share experience with SuperSprings SSA27 (They are offered right on the FWC website)?

- They add 1,650# which seems perfect.

- They would keep me at stock height.

- If they are a bit too low, I still have the 1.5" block from my old leveling kit, which seems would allow me to 'adjust' the height if needed.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.  Thx.

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:38 PM

Have you considered using the Daystar cradles, or have the air springs left a bad taste?

Can't help with the SuperSprings other than to say that 4-ish doors down from their location is a good brewpub.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

I have the Dakar leaf pack, with an added leaf, and the Firestone airbags with Daystar cradles. I'm lifted about 4" so I'm ok with the spring pack. I usually run a our 25psi in my airbags, just to assist with the load. The best part about having airbags is allowing you to fine tune your camper level when parked and camping.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:16 AM

Daystar cradles...then see if you really need additional springs. I stay as close to stock as possible.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:54 AM

I had super springs on my Tacoma. They were perfect when loaded (height wise) but raised about 2.5” when unloaded.

#6 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

I had a set of custom rear springs made at Alcan Springs in Grand Junction, CO for my Ford Ranger. I told them I wanted an additional 1000lbs of capacity over OEM and OEM height. They also made new U-bolts. Took about 4 weeks, approximately $700. I had the option of them shipping them to me or picking them up. I picked them up and they referred me to a shop in town where I made an appointment and had them installed for $160. We never take the FWC off, truck rides great on highway and off road. I did add Rancho shocks.

They will meet any specs you want, ie an additional 1200 lbs and an additional 1 " of height etc

They did warn me that if I took off the FWC, the truck would ride like a brick.

Alcan is strictly a spring manufacturing shop. check it out www.alcanspring.com 

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:24 PM

B. Keep stock height.

<snip>

I've reached out to 2 suspension shops, and it appears that B causes quite a bit of challenge. They are looking into it, but have come up with nothing.

Are these truck spring shops, ie repair/ replace and install ? I ask because for 2 trucks I went to spring shops that work on commercial vehicles (5 ton, bus, even firetrucks) but also light trucks, and had them install rear add a leafs.

First time I wanted lift and took what they gave me. Second time (and vehicle) I left the loaded truck and told them I wanted it leveled. I think they had to use 2 leafs to achieve this. Third time I had aux spring pack added. These were pre made but installed to my spec for contact.

Point is, each time I got the impression that it was the kind of job they did all the time. I assume the main leaf pack was disassembled, re worked, re arched, leaf added, etc... whatever was required for the customer's order.

No doubt there are limits to what can be done, maybe a percentage of change of leaf addition ratio. And of course you may not have this type of shop nearby. Just seems there'be be less guessing going this route if it were possible.

#8 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:43 AM

I added Super Springs on my 06 Tundra, they worked well but if I had to do it over I would replace the entire spring packs. I won't ever need too since the Hawk no resides on a 3/4T

#9 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:08 AM

Custom spring makers were/are quite common but they primarily serve the commercial trucking trade...both with new setup and replacement of broken springs...pretty common on the big trucks.

Another fascinating aspect of commercial truck suspension shops is that it is quite common to heat and bend forged front axles to tweek the tire wear....an evolution of my grandaddys' blacksmith shop.

David Graves

Edited by DavidGraves, 25 February 2019 - 02:08 AM.

#10 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:52 PM

I have begun the quest for figuring out what to do to help my rear end on my '08 Tundra.  Sorry for the long winded details, but from my searching, I have a very typical setup and I could not find any great answers. 

A few details:

1. I have a nicely appointed Hawk on my '08 Tundra (Double cab, 5.7L, TRD, 4x4, Tow Package). 

2. Per FWC weight list, it's right at 1,373#.  My capacity is 1,520 #.  As I usually carry trout rods or surfboards I'm just at 100%.

3. I have Firestone Airbags.  These work fine on highways but off road they are very limited in articulation.  

4. When I got the truck, there was a spacer leveling kit installed (Rough Country 87000 2.5-inch - 3-inch Suspension Leveling Lift Kit for Toyota: 07-18 Tundra 4WD).  When my Hawk was on, I could not reach the top to put my surfboards on (see my solution for that at: Loading / Unloading Roof racks here at WTW) so I came up with a fix.

5. I then removed the leveling kit, and at 6'5" I can just reach up for the boards now!  

What I want is:

A. Remove the air bags for better off road travel

B. Keep stock height.

"Kevin" from FB FWC did ARB Dakar springs with two Add-a-Spring on each side.  According to him this is great; however, it adds about 2.5" in the rear.  Not the 'end of the world' but it does conflict with desire B.  I've reached out to 2 suspension shops, and it appears that B causes quite a bit of challenge. They are looking into it, but have come up with nothing.

Now for question: Can anyone share experience with SuperSprings SSA27 (They are offered right on the FWC website)?

- They add 1,650# which seems perfect.

- They would keep me at stock height.

- If they are a bit too low, I still have the 1.5" block from my old leveling kit, which seems would allow me to 'adjust' the height if needed.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.  Thx.

Hey Man

This is Kevin from the FB group.

I am 99% sure i saw you in Borrego this weekend.  Did you highbeam me over near the sculptures as i was heading out?

I noticed youre also in SD.  Youre welcome to swing by and check out and drive my truck anytime.

Also, i have a set of adjustable Bilstein 5100s in my garage complete and ready to bolt on, set at 1.5" lift, much better than a spacer, let me know if ya want em.

I went through every combo possible before finding what i think is the best solution.

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 25 February 2019 - 11:56 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tundra, supersprings, hawk, air bags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users