• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

Like many places, Northeast Iowa has six weeks of tough winter weather and several more weeks on the way with no sign of spring.  One thought comes to mind of how America has changed:

In the mid-80's we drove from St. Louis to Kansas City to visit family for the holidays.  We drove over 200 miles of freezing rain and 100% ice covered I-70 in single lane/bumper-to-bumper traffic, as far in every direction as you could see, going 25 mph in the dark.  We never saw a sand truck or salt truck the entire trip.  The temperature was so cold, our front window defrost could not keep the window de-iced on the outside.  Every vehicle had rear wheel drive, no AWD or 4WD.  No ice or snow tires on any vehicle.  The number of vehicles in the ditch or involved in an accident for over 200 miles in both directions and more than 8 hours of driving:  ZERO.  

In winter on I-35 north of Des Moines during 2-3 inches of snow, no freezing rain or drizzle, the vehicles in the ditch or on top of a guard rail averaged one every five miles with over 90% of those vehicles being AWD or FWD trucks and SUV's.  

I do not think driving skills have changed only our culture.

Edited by iowahiker, 24 February 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#2 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

That's a great observation and most likely dead on target.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:06 PM

Part of it was judgement. In our neck of the woods here, it seems that most expect things to be taken care for them. The road crews are working just for them. How dare they close the road in white out or avalanche conditions. Bottom line - there is a real disconnect with the natural world. No one knows how to use a shovel, clear their own parking place, good old honest, basic, work. My favorite - it is the weather's fault, or there was ice. Never was it, "I was driving too fast for conditions."

Our basic observation these days is we do not want to join our current crop of drivers on the road in challenging weather conditions.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

Part of it was judgement. In our neck of the woods here, it seems that most expect things to be taken care for them. The road crews are working just for them. How dare they close the road in white out or avalanche conditions. Bottom line - there is a real disconnect with the natural world. No one knows how to use a shovel, clear their own parking place, good old honest, basic, work. My favorite - it is the weather's fault, or there was ice. Never was it, "I was driving too fast for conditions."

Our basic observation these days is we do not want to join our current crop of drivers on the road in challenging weather conditions.

I love the comment,"...never was it driving to fast for conditions".

When the "chains required" sign goes up the speed is 25 mph.

Seems like a lot of people ignore it. Seems like the view is,"I have 4wd/awd I can go through at any speed",is the mentality.

Well enough of the soap box.Enjoy the winter. Spring will start next Friday the 1st.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:39 PM

As a Southern California driver, who like many, have very limited or no driving experience in snow or ice, I respect those that know and understand how to drive in these conditions.  I plan my routes ahead of time, carry chains with even the possibility of snow and slow down and observe the conditions.  I have spent my two wheel days riding street and dirt on motorcycles though and understand traction, braking and slowing down based on conditions and skill level.  Wish I had more experience in the 4 wheel cage and snow and ice though!  

Jon

FoxenTec

#6 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

During the I-70 ice storm, no one entered the left lane or passed another vehicle for the entire ice storm in either direction even though both lanes had the same traction, wet ice with zero braking and a little steerage.  

I-35, North of Des Moines, had one truck upside down but the cab did not deform thanks to all those safety regulations.  

The last economic crash in 2008/9 reminds me of I-35, too many going too fast.  

The new culture:  too many going too fast (but not everyone)

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:33 PM

Spring-with all that mud?  With all  those Oregon Grossbeaks  coming down here and messing up my yard and getting into fights with my nice and quiet Steller Jays! All that rain and sun and no more wearing my old Soral snow boots everywhere.  Why I love it in the winter, nothing better than getting up in the dark, with  ice cold 6 degree weather outside, black ice-can't even walk the dog, 50 mph zepher winds and white outs and  with only idiots out on the road   And they all are trying to kill you  these days-don't know how to drive, much less help and old fella  like me dig myself out in the morning, Did I mention snow plow operators don't know how to plow the roads right and always block me in!  Gosh darn it all wish I could live in a real winter place  all the time like they had in the old days or like they have today in Truckee or Canada or Minn-what's the name of that town up  on the border?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME-The heck with Spring, I want Summer to get here now -the sooner, the better :wub: !

On a more serious note, did anyone see that program on the weather channel the other day on the Donner Party? Now you are talking weather-and real surviving a real bad time. While those people make allot of mistakes and it killed some of them, the program pointed out how tough they were. They had none of the winter gear and or neat things we have today   and what was more amazing was that more of them didn't die, than did! I've been up to the Donner Historical Site and as a archaeologist/historian, I've read allot of historical stuff on how they and our ancestors lived and boy compared to them we are wimps -but, maybe that is why our species survived all these years. Man you had to be tough, and they did it without either Safeway or 4 wheel drive too! 

Smoke 

Edited by Smokecreek1, 24 February 2019 - 10:37 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

They had "4 hoof drive" though. Tough people,yes.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:25 AM

When our team at work went to the Spaghetti Factory for a lunch, we would need places for 8-10 people. When asked for a name, it wasn't unusual for us to say Donner.  Was a hoot to see the expressions of others waiting when they called out "Donner Party" as our turn came up.  :P

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,013 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:11 AM

With the amount of snow forecast out this next storm maybe it will be Donner like. I've learned my lesson on driving in icy conditions the hard way. Want to tailgate me while I drive slow and cautiously? Go ahead, doesn't bother me a bit. Oh, I won't be winching you out of the snow when you pass me though. 

When the authorities say stay home, I hear "stay home" not "whoo, get the snowboards". 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users