Photo
- - - - -

MAXTRAX MK 2 Best? Get orange? Prices...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

Are Maxtrax MKII the best of that sort of thing? Recovery boards.

Is Orange the best color? For general “not leave one behind at night” etc.

For sand and snow.

And.... I see them for $299, shipped, various places in the USA. Any better deals to be had from a legit seller?

Thanks.

J.

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

I have the Maxsa version of these.   About 1/2 the price of the Maxtrax and functionally the same.   There are endless debates about which is the 'best' around the web.  To me they all are somewhat overpriced nylon planks - I chose the least overpriced version I could find that still had some reviews.   Thankfully I have not used mine that much, but they serve their primary purpose of making my camper look 'rugged'  ;) .

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

That’s funny!

I was a big fan of the TRED devices because they looked cool and were half the price of maxtraxx. They also broke twice under normal not overly intense use. TRED replaced them under warranty and I’ve since switched to maxtraxx and have had no issues using they a half dozen or so times in snow and mud.

I really do think the maxtraxx are the best. That said, they’re also overpriced! Pick your poison.

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:14 AM

The ORANGE ones are much better for traction...all the Austrailian trucks have ORANGE ones and SNORKELS.

David Graves

#5 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Tie some simple “leashes” to them, especially if using them in mud or soft sand. Makes finding and pulling them out easier.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#6 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

I have the Maxtrax.  They work great for leveling, I can tell you that. I've put some stress on them while using them for leveling and they haven't shown any signs of cracking or anything.

I bought orange as I figured the color would be easiest to find in the mud....if the issue ever came up. They come with leashes...which I turned into dog leashes.

aaaaaaa.jpg

#7 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:33 AM

I've used and reviewed several brands of composite traction devices, and remain convinced that MaxTrax are worth the money. I've never broken one yet.

#8 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

I bought the MaxTrax because of reviews of very knowledgeable and experienced people such as JHanson. I figured when they are needed, you really don't want to take a chance on lesser quality.

I got the silver ones as they sort of matched my truck. 

Everywhere I looked they were the same price, so I bought online where I could get free shipping.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

I went with orange because at that price I sure don't want to drive off and leave one. For my second set I bought a cheaper brand. I'm second guessing myself on that one. If I break one I still need to haul it out. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:35 AM

I have the Maxtrax.  They work great for leveling, I can tell you that. I've put some stress on them while using them for leveling and they haven't shown any signs of cracking or anything.

I bought orange as I figured the color would be easiest to find in the mud....if the issue ever came up. They come with leashes...which I turned into dog leashes.

attachicon.gifaaaaaaa.jpg

Looks like you have the same propane fire pit that we have. Love that thing. We used it all over the west in our trip last October, including a 28 degree night in Great Basin NP. It was nice not having to worry about finding/buying firewood, and there were still some burn bans in effect. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users