• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:41 AM

Has anyone had problems with termites in their camper? I have found evidence of termite infestation in the sink cabinet in my Granby. It's hard to tell the extent of the damage due to the plastic coating on the wood. I have found damage in a couple of joints and uncoated wood areas and treated with insecticide. My concern is whats going on in the areas I can't get to. I wonder if anyone has ever had a camper tented?

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:50 PM

I haven't had any problems with termites and I live in a forested area where I usually find termite infestations in fallen trees or rounds that that I've bucked. My understanding of termites is they generally need earth wood contact or they can build tubes to travel up to their wood source. I think that you would notice the tubes. Another possibility would be carpenter ants. Either way I don't envy your situation. Good luck!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Dick,

Not inside my camper, but found some minor damage underneath on the plywood spacer strips I installed to fit my old truck. Fortunately I was able to remove them when I installed new thicker strips to accommodate my new truck. Treated with Jasco before I repainted the whole underside. Maybe try a termite fogger?

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:08 AM

First time I've seen this posted. Maybe some wood that was brought inside? I bought a bbq set with wooden handles, imported from china and the wood was honeycombed with tunnels from some kind of insect. Surprised they let that into the country.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

I probably picked them up while hauling campfire wood in Baja. I'll take the cabinet apart so I can get to the infested areas and treat them. I should also take the camper off the truck to check the floor pack. It needs painting anyway.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:03 PM

I probably picked them up while hauling campfire wood in Baja. I'll take the cabinet apart so I can get to the infested areas and treat them. I should also take the camper off the truck to check the floor pack. It needs painting anyway.

That is the reason transporting camp firewood from one area to another isn't allowed.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:58 AM

I'll learn from your lesson.  Thanks.  I hope you solve your issue rapidly.

I never would have thought about damage to ones own camper from hauling wood.

#8 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

Did you see any 'pelletized' droppings around the damage? And did you actually see termites or just the damage?

Edited by roverjohn, 27 February 2019 - 05:17 PM.

#9 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

The 60 yr old Monterey Cypress and the 58 yr old Pine we had to take down at my house in Novato both had wood borers in them. They weakened individual branches which sagged/broke on the Cypress and the Pine had a nasty sap-like substance running down the bark. The Pine had just about lost all its needles as well. The arborist who took down the pine and eventually the Cypress said they had just about lived as long as thos species can be expected to.

Point is....not all boring damage can be attributed to termites....another reason why carrying firewood from one area to another is a no-no. The forests are in bad enough shape as it is from the drought and the beetles and such that giving the critters a free ride to another area is a bad idea.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

The 60 yr old Monterey Cypress and the 58 yr old Pine we had to take down at my house in Novato both had wood borers in them. They weakened individual branches which sagged/broke on the Cypress and the Pine had a nasty sap-like substance running down the bark. The Pine had just about lost all its needles as well. The arborist who took down the pine and eventually the Cypress said they had just about lived as long as thos species can be expected to.

Point is....not all boring damage can be attributed to termites....another reason why carrying firewood from one area to another is a no-no. The forests are in bad enough shape as it is from the drought and the beetles and such that giving the critters a free ride to another area is a bad idea.

Great advice. One of the first things asked when you cross into Canada is

are you carrying camp firewood? One time I watched the border people search and take away wood from the camper behind us.

Thanks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users