8 replies to this topic

#1 Back2gas

Back2gas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:01 AM

Hello everyone -

I'm wondering if anyone has used DIY bed liner or has considered using it to paint the exterior of their camper.

I have 2008 Outfitter that looks dated and dull, with a few scratches. I saw that Palomino has an "Armor coated" LineX version of their pop-up truck camper. I thought it looked pretty cool and would definitely be durable for the bush.

Thanks

Edited by Back2gas, 28 February 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#2 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:31 AM

Here’s a comment on the Herculiner on another site I was reading today. Check out the last comment.

“I took the carpet and seats out of my 09 JK Wrangler and put Herculiner all on the inside of the tub myself. I was never totally happy with the final appearance of the liner. In places where it hadn't been touched it was glossy, but where it had been touched it became more of a matte. And as others have mentioned, it didn't stand up to use very well. It scratched off in a few places but overall I'd say 98-99% of it was still there when I sold the Jeep, so it's not like it looked horrible. Overall it was a LOT of work, took an entire weekend to dry with a fan blowing on it and I was never totally happy with the "finish", but I only payed $100 for the kit.”

As for this truck, I will get it bedlined at some point, and I'll pay professionals.

Link to the discussion: https://www.ram1500d...pro-vs-diy.html
2007 FWC Hawk

#3 Back2gas

Back2gas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

Interesting I wonder how well the project was prepped. I know prepping is everything when it comes to something like this. Getting into all the nooks and crannies of a Jeep interior with a scuff pad or sand paper would be very time consuming.

The exterior would be much more straight forward with my Outfitter. The cost of having it done professionally is not inexpensive. I was quoted $2300 by a local shop. 

Thanks for the input

#4 bajablanca

bajablanca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

I recently did mine, I rushed the job and will probably recoat again in a few months. Prep is very important, buy lots of adhesion promoter, tape carefully, I would recommend a minimum of 3 coats. Also when it comes to raptor liner, the sheen will vary with the method of application, sprayed will give you a mat finish while rolling will be glossy.IMG_20190212_152136_557.jpeg

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

There have been a number of vans, jeeps, pickups, and trailers that have been 'painted' with Monstaliner (sp?).  It seems to hold up well, can be colored, and doesn't fade.   Adds 50 - 100 lbs to the rig.

With any paint job prep is 99% of the work and time.

Wow bajablanca, doesn't that get awfully hot in the sun?

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:55 AM

Bombsight did his with a truck bed coating.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#7 bajablanca

bajablanca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

There have been a number of vans, jeeps, pickups, and trailers that have been 'painted' with Monstaliner (sp?). It seems to hold up well, can be colored, and doesn't fade. Adds 50 - 100 lbs to the rig.

With any paint job prep is 99% of the work and time.

Wow bajablanca, doesn't that get awfully hot in the sun?

Roof is still white, no noticable temperature difference. In regards to the added weight, not sure how you arrived at 50-100 pounds? It's basically paint, the whole raptor liner kit didn't weigh much more than a gallon of household paint.

#8 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

I wonder if it would help or hurt resale.  I don't see any practical advantage, only aesthetic.  I would think something painted in that manner had damage the OP was trying to cover up.  I also think it looks about as bad as any finish could.  It's the worst looking camper I can imagine seeing with mine own eyes.  Hurts to look at.

#9 Back2gas

Back2gas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:43 AM

I wonder if it would help or hurt resale.  I don't see any practical advantage, only aesthetic.  I would think something painted in that manner had damage the OP was trying to cover up.  I also think it looks about as bad as any finish could.  It's the worst looking camper I can imagine seeing with mine own eyes.  Hurts to look at.

I actually stole the idea from a line of products made by Palomino where they coated the outside with Line-X. It's durable and I thought it looked pretty cool. I could see how if I sell it in the future someone might think I was hiding something. I suppose it's not for everyone.

https://www.truckcam...armor-editions/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users