Photo
- - - - -

Flatbed Owners: Anyone Using External Turnbuckles vs. Through-Bolting?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MaxStar

MaxStar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:44 AM

Hey everyone. Been lurking for a while...

We’re in the initial planning stages of a FWC flatbed setup and I’m curious if anyone is using turnbuckles from their jack brackets to the bed instead of through-bolting the camper. If so, what are you using for attachment points on the bed itself? On a bed with a rub rail and external stake pockets, anyone have experience with stake pocket D-rings like these?

https://www.etrailer...em/PK-SPTD.html

Thoughts?

I ask because I foresee the camper being loaded/ unloaded frequently as the platform would be a work truck as well. We’re thinking of using FastGuns...

Thanks all!

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

Hey everyone. Been lurking for a while...

We’re in the initial planning stages of a FWC flatbed setup and I’m curious if anyone is using turnbuckles from their jack brackets to the bed instead of through-bolting the camper. If so, what are you using for attachment points on the bed itself? On a bed with a rub rail and external stake pockets, anyone have experience with stake pocket D-rings like these?

https://www.etrailer...em/PK-SPTD.html

Thoughts?

I ask because I foresee the camper being loaded/ unloaded frequently as the platform would be a work truck as well. We’re thinking of using FastGuns...

Thanks all!

Most Four Wheel Camper flatbeds are fabricated to fit the camper, flush around the perimeter. I believe through bolting is the only option. I would contact FWC. Rocky Mountain FWC in Denver and Mainline in PA might also provide answers as they do a lot of Flatbed builds. Good luck. The jack bracket might work, but unless you have a larger flat bed, not sure how that will work.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 MaxStar

MaxStar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. The FWC guys in Woodland told me it’s been done by a few people, but I haven’t spoken to Mainline or RMFWC. Good idea, I’ll give em a shout.

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

I have a flatbed, and agree that if you want to remove and reinstall it often (which I don't) that lining up the bolt holes would be a pain.  Seems like external turnbuckles to the jack brackets could work fine in the front, but the rear jack brackets are a foot or so behind the rear edge of the flatbed, so that might not be the best.    If you are starting from scratch, I wonder if you could come up with a more elegant solution -  maybe brackets for some Destaco pull clamps: https://www.destaco....tch-clamps.html ?

Or maybe just some guides on the flatbed to align the camper easily and then install some weld nuts under the tray so it is easy to bolt it down from inside the camper. 

Edited by rando, 01 March 2019 - 03:04 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 MaxStar

MaxStar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

Rando, both great ideas. Thanks for your input.

#6 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

I use Fastguns and they fasten directly to the flatbed. No movement at all on the road or off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 93F98549-43DD-43D1-99AF-1624A04C5F42.jpeg
  • E7911D42-78AB-44C7-A08A-20D605752B0C.jpeg

#7 MaxStar

MaxStar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

Awesome, Kevin. Thanks again!

#8 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

I am a long-time user and first-time poster who finally joined up to respond to this thread. Thanks to all in this community who have given us so much help.

For now, we are going to stick with the bolt through method for our 2017 flat bed hawk. Our two biggest challenges in working the nuts and bolts are cleaning the sand and grime off the threads so that the nut will turn and getting a wrench up and under the bed into the very tight space. To remedy this, a change I am working on from the initial install is to weld bolts to plates and feed the bolts up through the bed rather than down. That will keep the threads clean. I will probably put some sort of handle on the bolt plates so that the person under the bed can easily hold them in place while the other works the nut from inside the camper. This change, plus making some small location marks on the camper and the flatbed will help a lot.

Always open to other ideas but that’s where we are for now.

Edited by Dirtroadsavant, 03 March 2019 - 04:51 PM.

Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

There have been some discussions about this previously:

http://www.wanderthe...scussion/page-4

I have not had to remove my Fleet flatbed, but someday I will have to.    My thought for when I have to do this is to install studs up through the flatbed deck and then install the nuts inside the camper.     My plan is to cut some ~4" x 4" x 1/4" aluminium plates and tap an M10 hole in the middle.  I would thread the 4 hold down bolts through the plates, then epoxy (JB weld) the plates to the underside of the tray with the bolts sticking up through the existing holes.    Aligning the camper holes to these 'studs' would still be a pain, but easier than trying to align holes-to-holes, and once it is aligned tightening the nuts would be simple as it all could be done from inside the camper.   

If you need to use the tray as a tray, removing the bolts would leave you a flat tray with threaded holes.   Given the issue that seem to arise with turnbuckles loosening, hooks bending etc, the bolt down solution seems to be the best option.   I have checked my bolts (with nylock nuts) a couple of times and they have never shifted or loosened. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:49 PM

Out of curiosity, why is so much energy being expended on very creative ways to bolt a camper to a flatbed? Everyone who has written up a new idea admits that repositioning is going to be a royal PITA. Trying to line up 4 small contact points while balancing a 1000+ pound camper over it on jacks is like eating soup in the rain - sure you can do it but why?

I am in no way saying my method is the best but it is certainly the easiest. I have run this camper/flatbed down some fairly gnarly tracks and it moved 1/8 of an inch once - the truck bounced down into a wash and the camper shifted that small amount. I was most likely going a little fast because since then, watching my speed has resulted in the camper not moving at all. And I have been using it a lot of tracks all over the Southwest.

I don’t mean to offend anyone and if I have, my apologies. I’m just a curious individual.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users