Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

30°F this morning and snowing.................................................we love Spring! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Vic.Nice.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

Spring... Saw my first squirrel that's out of hibernation.  

IMG_0798-A.JPG

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

We heard the first Stellar Jays on our early morning walk - micro spikes required - today.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

I feel this...

Great video Vic! Gal and I watched this and it reminded us year ago February at Saskatoon with near record cold temperatures. We were wishing it would warm to +1 during the week as we were outside photographing snowy owls. At -40 two Nikon cameras refused to work, our Canons worked but slowly.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:38 PM

- 40 is a tad chilly.   We are looking at above freezing forcasts for the first time in many weeks.  I can hardly wait! 

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

The switch to daylight saving time is part of spring -- like it or not.

An article from the NY Times a couple years ago about "why DST" had a bit that I hadn't heard before -- it's great! :)  Excerpt below (my emphasis)

Energy Savings

The idea was originally rooted in saving candle wax, not electricity.

Historians have traced the notion back to Benjamin Franklin, who realized he was sleeping through some daylight hours while visiting Paris in the 18th century. He suggested French officials shoot cannons at sunrise to jolt people out of bed, optimizing the amount of hours they spent awake when it’s light out. That way, they could cut down on using candles to light their homes while awake, Mr. Prerau said.

By Daniel Victor, New York Times, March 11, 2016

Ben Franklin had some great ideas and inventions.  Not sure if this was one of them...  :huh:

I've experienced something like this Franklin suggestion.  A couple of years ago I was visiting a friend on the 29 Palms USMC base ("MCAGCC") -- retired military, he had his RV parked there for a while. A few mornings I woke to the sound of artillery -- in the distance.  That sound wasn't the cause of me waking up -- so not exactly Franklinesque, but it would have done the job if I'd been a couple miles closer to the guns.  They do sound reveille over loudspeakers on the Base...so similar.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

Meteorologists say we're 10 days into spring, and they should know...but local deer aren't convinced.

Deer-111748.jpg   Deer-111743.jpg

"Hey, got any food in there?  It's a little lean out here."

Several deer were rummaging in the snow for seed dropped from the bird feeders.

(Note the step ladder, used when clearing -- raking -- snow from the roof to reduce ice dams and leakage)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#20 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

OMG-for the first time since whenever the weather forecast does not show the possibility of snow (except for today that is) for  the whole next week :)! Could this mean Spring weather could be  around the corner??????? The sun just popped out from a crack in the clouds better go walk the dog fast before the snow starts again! SPRING!!!!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 12 March 2019 - 04:21 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users