#81 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

<snip>

Here for a niece's graduation from ASU.  She was born just a few months ago, or so it seems.  How did this happen?

Foy

Foy, that gave is a chuckle, and when you come up with the answer please let us know.

Congrats to your niece on her graduation! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#82 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Foy, that gave is a chuckle, and when you come up with the answer please let us know.

Congrats to your niece on her graduation! :)

This is a fine and purposeful young woman who is of the type which really gives a geezer like her Uncle lots of hope for the future.  She earned a Bachelors in Primary Education (K-3 in these parts), and earned it from a venerable University long known as Appalachian State Teacher's College. Her internship was with a group of sexually abused children and she reportedly really connected with her students.  She's very much a credit to the whole Fam Damily as well as to her generation.

And back to Springtime weather--good thing it's cool, slightly overcast, and breezy.  My old self wouldn't have lasted the nearly 3 hours with the chain saw cutting and stacking brush/saplings threatening the view if it was any sunnier or hotter.  Time for a BLT sammich with fresh maters, Duke's mayonnaise, chilled lettuce, a cold beverage, and a snooze on the deck overlooking Grandfather Mountain!

Edited by Foy, 10 May 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#83 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:21 AM

Friday afternoon I drove across Shasta Lake (high above the lake, actually, on I-5), and I was amazed to see it virtually brim full.

The lakeview is now just vegetated slopes and lake water -- without the hundreds of feet of red dirt that has separated them for years of drought.

It's a good thing! :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#84 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:21 AM

Ditto for Detroit Lake in Oregon.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#85 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Well guys, get your overcoats an snow shoes out again!  Just got back from a quicker trip that I planned for, up to Butte Creek FS CG (a prim CG just north of the northern  gateway  to  Lassen Volcanic NP.and about 50 miles west of Susanville, Ca) Left on Tuesday wearing cut offs, planning to stay for several days, came back today driving through a snow storm and winter driving.  That pacific storm they where  talking   about hit on Wednesday-wind and lots of rain at first-then cold-heater cold, and the day spent inside the pop-up instead of playing with and training my new border collie-Timber (yep I got a new one-but that is another story). We went from 20 degrees above normal temp to 20 degrees below norm. seemingly overnight.  This thing is supposed to last until next week, and boy it sure feels like winter here again.

All last night was a winter night (used my new Wave 6 all night long) and I was wondering what was going to get me first, the rapid rise of Butte Creek, the possibility of a lodge pole pine landing on my rig, or would I get stuck driving out!  The weather reports were right-a big storm did come in!   Yep, made it 'till this morning, and nothing more fun that breaking camp with frozen hands in the wind and blowing snow. Water can was frozen-hey just part of that WTW experience we all love!  Roads out were fine, HW 44, wet, sometimes snowy, but did not need 4x4, just had took it easy.  I guess I'm becoming a wimp in my old age , weather really was not that bad-that's what I got the pop-up for and had all the right gear to enjoy it;  But boy it is sure nice being home-now it is time to start planning my next run-somewhere warm :)-I hope. Another example of always being ready for anything i guess in this crazy weather world of late!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#86 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:24 PM

Smoke congrats on your new pup.

Gal said we should not have to run the house heater mid May... but she did turn it on.  The air is cold outside and the wind is making it go right through you.

More snow in the Sierra with chain controls on Interstate 80 over Donner / Truckee.  Enjoy your spring, summer is fast approaching.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#87 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

Dang!  It's mid-May, 1:15 in the afternoon...but it could be March, by the feel and look of it!  <_<

Weather_20190519-1.jpg

Actually...this is nothing unheard of in Bend, but still...

I'm glad that [meteorological] summer is less than 2 weeks away -- then all will be well! ;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#88 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 4.56.21 PM.png

It is currently sleeting.  Got my winter coat out again.

My trees are leafed out, perennials are about 6" tall, and we have a frost advisory for tonight.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#89 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

Froze my hands this morning also camped off highway 120. Home now and its raining pretty good. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#90 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

Rain and wind here in coastal SoCal, with several inches of snow at our cabin in San Bernardinos 7k feet. More moisture on the way. We have a NorNV trip planned 6/3 along Lassen/Applegate Trail to Black Rock and beyond. Wondering if I should bring my water ski for the lakebed.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users