Photo
- - - - -

Can The FWC Smart Controller/Q4 Charge The Truck Battery?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:03 AM

Can the FWC charge controller/Q4 run current into the truck battery when camper is hooked up on 110v outside power?

Thanks...

Phil

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:18 AM

It may depend on which battery isolator you have and if battery chemistries are compatible in truck & camper. In addition, having large gauge cable to reduce voltage drop would help. Is your isolator the Blue Sea?

I have the older battery isolator which doesn’t work for that charging direction but when I put my Noco charger on the truck battery, the isolator connects the camper batteries with a large clunk and the Noco charges both.

In addition, your solar should work similarly.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

The way my truck is wired, the FWC Iota converter will also charge the truck batteries.  I occasionally do this in the winter when the truck is not driven for longer periods of time.  I bypassed the camper's battery separator and rely on a simple ATC fuse that I insert or pull depending on whether I want the truck's aux battery and camper connected.  The truck's starting battery is protected from the truck's aux battery by a battery separator so I can't run the starting battery down with the camper (which has its own batteries).  Outside of winter, I generally keep the fuse pulled so the camper batteries are only charged by the camper solar.  Kind of low tech, but it works for me.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

I can if I switch my battery switch to connect the truck batteries. If I haven't driven the truck in a while sometimes the truck batts go low and its a lot faster charging that way vs. using the Noco.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

Sorry for late response, but I only go online once a week....makes life a lot less stressful!  

So......I have a stock FWC Hawk set-up with dual batteries and a separator with IOTA Q4..

My question was and is....does the IOTA when on 110v power charge my truck battery? 

Why I ask is that I also keep my truck on a Battery Tender in the shop while the Hawk is plugged into 110v to keep the dual AGMs charged.....I do not want to overcharge the truck battery...

Thanks...Phil

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

It comes down to what your separator will allow from either direction as you charge.  You can test this with your volt meter as you charge the camper batteries and check the truck battery voltage before and during charge to see if the separator opens up.  Then check it the other way with a charge to the truck batteries.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

It comes down to what your separator will allow from either direction as you charge.  You can test this with your volt meter as you charge the camper batteries and check the truck battery voltage before and during charge to see if the separator opens up.  Then check it the other way with a charge to the truck batteries.

yes, I will test that...but a separator, FWC installed, is a "one-way" switch that allows current to flow from the Tundra alternator into the Hawk batteries and to prevent current from flowing just from the Tundra battery into the Hawk batteries...this is to prevent the Tundra  from ending up with a flat battery and no way to start the truck...

I do carry a Li battery for emergency jumps...but that should not be necessary with the separator even if the Hawk batteries drain down...

Phil

#8 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

As others have said, it all depends on which isolator you have in your camper.   FWC has installed several different ones over the years.  The newer Blue Seas ones are 'dual sensing' and will connect your camper battery to your truck battery if it detect either are charging.  The older isolators (from Surepower) are single side sensing and will only connect the truck and camper batteries if the truck battery is being charged.  

The isolators aren't directional - once they are engaged, current can flow either direction.  They are just a relay.   The IOTA doesn't play a role in this, it is just a charger/power supply.  

So which isolator is installed in your camper?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:31 PM

As others have said, it all depends on which isolator you have in your camper.   FWC has installed several different ones over the years.  The newer Blue Seas ones are 'dual sensing' and will connect your camper battery to your truck battery if it detect either are charging.  The older isolators (from Surepower) are single side sensing and will only connect the truck and camper batteries if the truck battery is being charged.  

The isolators aren't directional - once they are engaged, current can flow either direction.  They are just a relay.   The IOTA doesn't play a role in this, it is just a charger/power supply.  

So which isolator is installed in your camper?

Good question...until now I never heard that two distinct types of "isolator" you refer to existed...here is what my information sheet that came with my 2016 Hawk states, underlining is mine:  "The function of the battery separator [comes installed with the FWC aux. battery system option] is to disengage the truck power supply [i.e. the truck starting battery] when your truck is turned off, therefore keeping the truck battery fully charged."  So it would seem that the separator is directional and if my truck is off, which it is in my shop, and the 110/120v power is connected to the Hawk then current can not flow to the truck battery.

This is how I understood the separator function but was asking the forum members if current did indeed ever flow into the truck battery from the IOTA or Hawk batteries...it would appear that no current will flow from the Hawk to the Tundra under any conditions with the stock FWC separator system...if truck is running the alternator will flow to truck and into Hawk and when truck ignition is off no current flows to the Tundra from the Hawk.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 08 March 2019 - 07:33 PM.

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

My 2016 Fleet Flatbed came with the Blue Sea isolator, which IS dual sensing and allows bi-directional charging.  You really need to go look in your camper and see which one you have, I would not trust the manual as the FWC documentation seems to be poor and out of date.

If you don't recognize it, post a photo and we can tell you which one it is. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users