Photo
- - - - -

Can The FWC Smart Controller/Q4 Charge The Truck Battery?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:06 PM

My 2016 Fleet Flatbed came with the Blue Sea isolator, which IS dual sensing and allows bi-directional charging.  You really need to go look in your camper and see which one you have, I would not trust the manual as the FWC documentation seems to be poor and out of date.

If you don't recognize it, post a photo and we can tell you which one it is. 

Roger that..will check today..thanks..

Phil

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

OK...attached is photo of my 2016 Hawk SEPARATOR [Eaton Model 1314A] which allows multiple batteries to be charged from one charging source [product description]....

The second post to follow will show a photo of the ISOLATOR which only allows current to flow from the truck battery to the Hawk when the truck is running and truck alternator is supplying the current..

Both were installed by FWC and it was explained to me [by installer and FWC tech via phone] that the truck can charge the Hawk batteries using the truck alternator but current will not flow back into the Tundra battery from the Hawk batteries or camper charging system...this one way 'isolation' is to prevent the Tundra starting battery from being drained by low Hawk batteries..when the truck is running the truck alternator is the charging source for the truck battery and as needed the Hawk batteries.

Hope the images come through..

Phil

Attached Thumbnails

• Separator.jpg

#13 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

ISOLATOR image

Attached Thumbnails

• isolator.jpg

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:30 PM

OK...attached is photo of my 2016 Hawk SEPARATOR [Eaton Model 1314A] which allows multiple batteries to be charged from one charging source [product description]....

The second post to follow will show a photo of the ISOLATOR which only allows current to flow from the truck battery to the Hawk when the truck is running and truck alternator is supplying the current..

Both were installed by FWC and it was explained to me [by installer and FWC tech via phone] that the truck can charge the Hawk batteries using the truck alternator but current will not flow back into the Tundra battery from the Hawk batteries or camper charging system...this one way 'isolation' is to prevent the Tundra starting battery from being drained by low Hawk batteries..when the truck is running the truck alternator is the charging source for the truck battery and as needed the Hawk batteries.

Hope the images come through..

Phil

This is the older isolator that will not charge the truck battery from the camper side power whether solar or Iota.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

ISOLATOR image

This is the resettable circuit breaker to protect the camper side.

There should have been a second one like it installed under the hood when the camper was installed. Both are needed so that if a short occurs in the wiring between the truck and camper, neither the truck battery or the camper batteries will do bad things if that wiring is compromised.

Paul

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

This is the older isolator that will not charge the truck battery from the camper side power whether solar or Iota.

Paul

OK...as advertised when I bought the Hawk...but how does this square with your #15 post?  I am in my normal state of confusion...

Thanks...Phil

#17 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:42 PM

OK...as advertised when I bought the Hawk...but how does this square with your #15 post? I am in my normal state of confusion...

Thanks...Phil

Sorry, I realize now that that circuit breaker is the one under your hood. There should be a second one like it in the camper near the Surepower 1314 isolator. The circuit breaker serves the same function as a fuse to protect the wiring but automatically resets if the current exceeds (probably) 30 amps. The isolator’s function is to ensure that the camper circuitry does not draw down the truck starter battery when the engine is not running.

Both are needed. Without the 1314 isolator, the circuit breakers would happily allow your camper appliances to drain the truck battery as long as the current draw was 30 amps or lower. Even with the truck running, the circuit breakers will limit the current flow to 30 amps.

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 08 March 2019 - 11:43 PM.

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:03 AM

Sorry, I realize now that that circuit breaker is the one under your hood. There should be a second one like it in the camper near the Surepower 1314 isolator. The circuit breaker serves the same function as a fuse to protect the wiring but automatically resets if the current exceeds (probably) 30 amps. The isolator’s function is to ensure that the camper circuitry does not draw down the truck starter battery when the engine is not running.

Both are needed. Without the 1314 isolator, the circuit breakers would happily allow your camper appliances to drain the truck battery as long as the current draw was 30 amps or lower. Even with the truck running, the circuit breakers will limit the current flow to 30 amps.

Paul

OK...thanks again...check the photo of the Eaton 1314 SEPARATOR and just to the left and lower there is what I believe is the circuit breaker within the Hawk...again the EATON in photo is described and labeled as a separator not an isolator..the isolator being in the second photo under the hood [I believe]...

Not sure how "smart" battery chargers are but my concern was if the IOTA could run current to my truck battery [FWC tech said that is would not...] and the Battery Tender was also running current to the truck battery that is could be over cooked..

Anyway thanks to all who chipped in with information...it was and is appreciated.

Phil

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:42 AM

You are correct about the circuit breaker next to the separator.

I have commonly (and incorrectly) called it an isolator where the industry name is separator.  This page describes the differences.   The isolator uses semiconductors to perform the function while the separator uses a relay. I had an isolator on my old VW camper that did essentially the same function from my viewpoint and just continued calling it an isolator.

The device you called an isolator is actually an automatically resettable circuit breaker like the one next to your battery separatorr.

Paul

#20 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:55 AM

You are correct about the circuit breaker next to the separator.

I have commonly (and incorrectly) called it an isolator where the industry name is separator.  This page describes the differences.   The isolator uses semiconductors to perform the function while the separator uses a relay. I had an isolator on my old VW camper that did essentially the same function from my viewpoint and just continued calling it an isolator.

The device you called an isolator is actually an automatically resettable circuit breaker like the one next to your battery separatorr.

Paul

Bet you miss the VW van....

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users