11 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

I’m normally annoyed by ads when web surfing, but this one caught my eye as something that might be useful for us geezers as strength declines with age. I have no idea if it really works...

BF008394-B15E-4C46-924B-57761E8F4677.jpeg

https://www.garrettw...ut-remover.html

Interesting reviews, two of the five say it’s great, but I haven’t used it yet.

I am haunted by waters

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:19 AM

With our Unit (wheel) Bearing type front 4WD axle there is a BIG nut in the middle of the hub. To be able to replace the wheel bearing you need to be able to get that nut loose and then be able to tighten it on re-assembly. To that end I bought a 24" long, 1/2" drive breaker bar and keep it, the socket for that nut, the socket for the bearing to knuckle bolts, and the lug nut socket in the truck. To get the BIG nut loose I place the bar with its end a bit above horizontal. And then stand on the end of it. 200 lbs (that I'll admit to) times 2 feet is ~400 foot-lbs of torque available with no real effort. If I bounce while standing on the bar it can easily triple that torque or more.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

Good battery impact wrench. looks about same size and weight and can be used for many other applications.

#4 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

Good battery impact wrench. looks about same size and weight and can be used for many other applications.

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Wonder if it's geezer proof <_< ?  Got a torque wench too-----and with my 10 ply m/s tires I'm really ready to go anywhere-right!!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

I’m normally annoyed by ads when web surfing, but this one caught my eye as something that might be useful for us geezers as strength declines with age. I have no idea if it really works...

attachicon.gifBF008394-B15E-4C46-924B-57761E8F4677.jpeg

https://www.garrettw...ut-remover.html

Interesting reviews, two of the five say it’s great, but I haven’t used it yet.

Had an much earlier version of this tool I had laying around for years (deades). Think I finally just tossed it at the recycler. I have a long quality torque wrench that clicks when it reaches the setting. Found it much more convenient. I guess if you have something that really requires a lot of grunting it might be worthwhile. I just never did.

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:16 AM

Be careful of using a torque wrench as a breaker bar. They're not designed for it and it is hard on them.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:51 AM

Be careful of using a torque wrench as a breaker bar. They're not designed for it and it is hard on them.

I was always taught to NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen nuts/bolts as it will destroy the calibration.

CWDT

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:19 AM

...and loosen the torque setting off when not used.

Using a breaker bar and applying a static load (standing on it) smack the head with a heavy hammer... Old fashion impact hammer.

I have never used a 12 volt impact hammer, do the good ones work good to break loose lug nuts at 120 foot pounds?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

OK, now you have me wondering :( I only tighten my lugs to 95 but my 1/2 " Dewalt impact works fine. What would be recommended torque... F250 with Hawk running 35's on 20" factory rims?

...and loosen the torque setting off when not used.

Using a breaker bar and applying a static load (standing on it) smack the head with a heavy hammer... Old fashion impact hammer.

I have never used a 12 volt impact hammer, do the good ones work good to break loose lug nuts at 120 foot pounds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users