SE Arizona next week...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

Sioux and I are fleeing the snow this Sunday to combined birding/ spring flowers trip to SE Arizona. (We may be a bit early for the flowers but we're searching for warmth and sun!) Flowers and birds will be a bonus!

We'll come down I-25 and then cut west on I-10 arriving Monday. We'll be exploring till Friday and go see a friend in Tucson and head back to Durango on Saturday through Flagstaff. (Why is there never enough time?)

We do want to spend time in the Chiricahuas and Cave Creek but otherwise pretty much have a clean slate. This close to the border (20-30 miles) is dispersed camping safe? We really don't like formal campgrounds but can suck it up if needed.

We'd like to check out Bisbee but the goal is mostly solitude, mild hiking and great views of flowers and birds. Please help with your suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Steve and Sioux

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

I've gone dispersed camping 7-8 miles from the border with no issues.  There is some decent dispersed camping off Proctor Rd.  as you enter into Madera Canyon, maybe a dozen spots or so, that's 12-15 miles from the border and great birding up the canyon, if you came from Bisbee through Sonoita and Patagonia (more birding but lots of BIG RV's in the campground) on HWY 83 you would be south of Madera and to Tuscon is a pretty short drive.

Also supposed to be some good camping around Cochise Stronghold though I haven't explored there yet.

Cheers!

Bob

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:05 PM

Steve, a short distance east of Bisbee. Thousands of sandhill cranes and dry camping.

https://www.azgfd.co...ogo/whitewater/

If you’re going to Chiricahua Nat Mon, check the dates of Texas’ spring break, it gets crowded then. Reservations recommended.

Patagonia Lake has spectacular birding, as well as the Patten House in Patagonia. There is often an elegant trogan at the lake. Reservations usually needed.

I am haunted by waters

#4 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

We visited southeast Arizona in October for over a week in 2018.

The weather was cold and wet (desert?).

We did not see any person to give us concern.  We had more hassles in Montana than Chiricahua Mtns last year.  

Chiricahua Mtns:  We camped in Sunny Flat campground on the east side which has large sites and a mostly quiet crowd, forest road 42.  The other two east side campgrounds were empty, Idlewild and Stewart, with a couple of nice sites in each.  The only other east side spot we saw to camp was at the end of the forest road to Herb Martyr, first road south bound after Sunny Flat campground, turn at the research center.  We camped in Chiricahua NM campground on the west side which has small sites, a noisy crowd, and is 100% reservable though we stayed several nights without reservations mid-week, check-in at the visitor center.  Forest road 42 on the west side had LOTS of dispersed sites but forest road 42 had lots of washboard.  We drove over the top on forest road 42 without difficulty but watch for snow and mud if the road is open (we used a little 4x4 in a couple of muddy spots).  We did not reach Cochise Stronghold campground on the other side of the valley west of Chiricahua but the spot is on our go back to list.  

I would not be optimistic on birding other than a steady supply of Mexican Jays, you could be too early.

We enjoyed the trail to the top of Silver Peak from the visitor center on the east side, Chiricahua Mtns, and the stream side hike at the end of forest road 42a, immediately south of Sunny Flat campground.  

Edited by iowahiker, 07 March 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#5 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

I was at Cave Creek 4 weeks ago.  Definitely not peak time but did see tons of Acorn Woodpeckers, Blue Throated Hummingbirds, Roadrunners and a variety of other things normally not seen in the Pacific Northwest.  Also a Javelina.  I recommend stopping by the Chiricahua Desert Museum in Rodeo near Portal.  Largest variety of Rattlesnakes in the world on exhibit.  It looks like a brand new museum.

#6 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

I neglected to thank everyone for their suggestions last month. We did do the trip but it pretty much rained on us (and cold!) much of the time. (And SE Arizona is a desert?)

However, we never made it to Cave Creek or the Chiricuahuas so are leaving Sunday to hone in on the Cave Creek area and birdwatching. Any updates for us on good boondocking/ birdwatching sites? 

Thanks in advance!

Steve

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Steve, call the Tucson Audubon for info. The Patten House in Patagonia is a great place to see lots of Hummingbirds and others. It’s run by Audubon if I remember correctly. Patagonia Lake SP is another good place.

I am haunted by waters

#8 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:59 PM

About all the forks in the Cave Creek system are worthy.  Not sure if you're planning any other ventures in the area, but great birding can also be had at:

1) Cochise Stronghold East;  the hike to the Saddle is ecologically diverse, and numerous very good dispersed camping spots on the NW side of Ironwood Rd upon entering the Coronado NF (these are ~1.5 mi NNE of the campground/trailhead, which is also surprisingly nice).  DDM:  31 deg 56.5' N and 109 deg 57.6' W.

2) Muleshoe Ranch, run by TNC;  it has a great riparian loop trail, with numerous avian sightings virtually guaranteed;  I've overnighted the camper at a spot on State Land ~1000 yds N of the ranch hdqtrs, real nice.  DDM:  32 deg 20.67' N and 110 deg 14.15' W.

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#9 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:11 PM

WOW! My thanks to both of you guys! Yeah, We'll have four or five days to explore just the Chiricuahuas so ought to be able to check these areas out.  Does anyone now if the roads across the mountains are open yet?

Thanks!

Steve

#10 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:27 PM

Yep, you're good to go over the Pinery Canyon route (FR 42), but not aware of a way across the monument to the E, believe the road ends at Massai Point?  Do tell if I'm mistaken...

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users