14 replies to this topic

#1 Buckshott

Buckshott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:33 AM

Hi there,

We recently purchased a Hallmark Cucherra and have found it is in need of some restoration work. Really cool camper but PO was very deceptive about issues which I failed to identify when inspecting (my bad). Gonna move forward and correct issues .
Does anyone know where I could purchase a front pass through window such as is found in the FourWheel campers? (about 16" x 20" pop-out). I see they are being used in other brands of newer campers also. I have to re-build that front wall and I think those smaller removable style windows would be an improvement as there would be more structure left surrounding the window as compared to the current (quite large) 36" slider. I've searched ebay and the web but haven't been able to locate this type of window anywhere. Any help would surely be appreciated! 
Thanks!

screen-shot-2019-01-20-at-9-34-38-am-png

Edited by Buckshott, 29 April 2019 - 02:15 AM.

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

Here is a 15x24 at FactoryRVSurplus and here is a 16 3/4 x 21 1/4 at DKHardware.

You might check with the FWC factory and dealers and the ATC factory.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:13 AM

Do you need the window at all? I have little to no visibility out the rear thru our Cuchara and wish that we didn't have that window at all.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 Buckshott

Buckshott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:30 PM

Here is a picture of what I'm after.

I really like the idea of being able to take a look forward up through the cab while in the camper. Also its nice to be able to throw something into or retrieve something from the cab if we want to.

I appreciate your replies!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.59.18 AM.png

#5 Buckshott

Buckshott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:33 PM

Here is another one similar with a little description....

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 9.23.14 AM.png

#6 Buckshott

Buckshott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:28 AM

Bad news....

The further I went , the more dry rot I found. Its really bad. All across the rear, in the floor and up both rear sides, up front and even starting on the over-shot. It sure looked nice on the outside, but now I see that it is not really feasible to try to save it.

Feeling really, really foolish for not seeing all this when I purchased it last fall (and being suckered by the PO!). Its been sitting in my garage this winter and I just really started tearing into it a couple of weeks ago.

Gonna have to demo it.😢

Well...enough said about that. 

Gonna move forward.

It has the upgraded one piece composite roof, so I'm thinking about starting from scratch and building a flatbed pop-up camper using the old roof.

Maybe this will evolve into a build thread. 

I'm looking at foam filled honeycomb composite panels for the cabin assy., but trying to get suppliers to talk to me has not been easy,

I think they would rather not deal with DIY'ers.

I do not want any seams on the sides, so I need to locate panel material at least 15' in length.

Maybe fab up an aluminum outer frame (if I am able to go with composite panels) or "exo-skeleton". I have fabrication skills, so TIG welding would be a fun process to utilize.

Any input would be welcomed!

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 8.25.52 PM.png

Edited by Buckshott, 26 April 2019 - 02:47 AM.

#7 Buckshott

Buckshott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:55 AM

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 8.38.29 PM.png This is the most valuable remnant of the demo. 

#8 Buckshott

Buckshott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:57 AM

And this is a concept drawing of what we hope to build. 🙂

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 2.08.34 PM.png

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

If you model the frame for aluminum and "weigh" it, and then model the frame for steel and then "weigh" that too I think that you'll find that there really isn't much weight savings in AL. The reason for this is that you're constrained to use nearly the same size tubing in both metals, but AL requires more of it to get to the same strength. I suspect that it is used by FWC, ATC, Phoenix, etc. entirely because of the corrosion aspect. AL also has a higher thermal conductance than steel, making those cold paths more effective. :(

There is one problem with the slightly heavier steel frame that hasn't been frequently discussed and that is your heavier wallet. Compare the cost of all of the tubes needed for the aluminum frame vs. those for the steel frame.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Buckshott

Buckshott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for the input...you make some good points for a steel frame. The camper would be mounted on at least a 3/4 ton flatbed pickup, so a little extra weight would be doable. The intent is for a setup that will see lots of backroads and hold up well.

If a steel frame was used, could the "skin" be bonded with Sikaflex (I believe that's what it's called) or something like it? Before or after primer?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pass through

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users