• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:51 PM

I found some interesting news. Ford is going to offer All-Wheel-Drive on the 2020 Transits. I was a week away from ordering a 2019 Promaster when I read about this at Pick-up truck . com. I then went to the Ford web site and they have the new 2020 Transits in the future vehicle page of their web site. 

It looks like I'll be waiting until the 2020s come out and I'll be buying a Ford for my next adventure camper. On a related note I went to talk to my local Sprinter dealer and was told that I could not order a van the way I wanted and I would just have buy what was sent by the factory. This seems odd to me and I will look into this further. I'll keep you all posted on what I find.

Mike

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:38 AM

Thanks for the updates, Mike.

AWD sounds interesting. 

I'm still using my 2016 4x4 Sprinter for work, while dreaming of the day I retire....

Meanwhile, our trusty Tundra/Hawk is ready to go in the garage.  Tough decisions  ;)

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

The new Sprinters (907,910) being made in North Charleston are factory spec'ed units only in the first wave. The 2nd wave will have dealer ordered units plus increase manufacturing capabilities.

I ordered a 2500 4x4 in mid November and the only info I've gotten back is info in changing options due to conflicts and will probably be late April before before getting any idea of production date.

The new Sprinters have a bunch of new options and even more parameters of what options and packages can or must be ordered together. And in the last 3 months, MB has made changes to at least one package which removed the items I wanted. Originally the items were in only one package, but now available individually 

The US Sprinter production:schedule ( as I had seen in November )

Production wave 1
6 cyl Diesel 4x2
144" & 170 WB

Production wave 2
4x4 models
Gas engine
170EXT WB

I had also read a article on the Ford offering an Transit AWD in 2020. In that article it said that a diesel woudn't be available in the AWD.

Unfortunately I prefer diesel and for my use, I need a 4x4 w/ low range and not an AWD

#4 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the update DSD277. I to noticed that MB was changing their build page. For example, months ago I would build a van with the gas engine and a trailer hitch. Now the hitch is either missing from the gas build sheet or is part of a package I haven't found yet.

I'm opposite from you, I prefer a gas AWD over the the diesel 4X4 with low range. I'm not saying one is better then the other but like you its just what I prefer. Now the waiting begins.

Mike

#5 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

I just received a new Sprinter ordering guide yesterday, and it has some of the same mistakes as the previous ordering guide. I'm afraid to tell the dealer. lol

The trailer hitch is Q24 (available on 2500 and 3500/3500XD/4500 170EXT; not with W73/QA2)

Also, according to the ordering guide, 4x4 is only with the diesel engine.and in limited models.

AWD is better for year round on-road driving in snow/ice/rain , while the selectable 4x4 and low range will get you through more technical offroading ( or stuck well beyond where you should be) :rolleyes:

#6 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:58 PM

I found some interesting news. Ford is going to offer All-Wheel-Drive on the 2020 Transits. I was a week away from ordering a 2019 Promaster when I read about this at Pick-up truck . com. I then went to the Ford web site and they have the new 2020 Transits in the future vehicle page of their web site. 

It looks like I'll be waiting until the 2020s come out and I'll be buying a Ford for my next adventure camper. On a related note I went to talk to my local Sprinter dealer and was told that I could not order a van the way I wanted and I would just have buy what was sent by the factory. This seems odd to me and I will look into this further. I'll keep you all posted on what I find.

Mike

Hey Mike, your dealer is wrong. Check out the sprinter forum. Lots of good info. there. Currently their are two dealers with open available build spots for 4x4's advertising there. Im finishing my second build and am currently in Austin Tx having Sportsmobile install one of their pop tops on my van

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#7 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Marc, you are right, the dealer I talked to was misinforming me. I'm still going to go with the Ford thou. My reasoning is as follows. Living in California with 40 million of my closest friends means I will be doing more off season camping and touring so I will be dealing with inclement weather where AWD is at its best. While the Sprinter 4X4 system with the low range is a more robust and versatile system I would never use it to its full capabilities. I'll be sticking to nice Forest Service roads and pavement.

With the Ford gas engine I will be taking a big hit on MPGs. I guestamate about 14 or 15 MPG highway vs 20 MPG or better for the MB diesel. But the MB diesel is a $6K option. $6K will buy a lot of gas and with the cost of the vans about the same it will take a long time to break even on the diesel. I will only get the diesel cost back at resale. Plus when you add in the higher fuel costs, DEF, maintenance, repairs and dealer locations I feel the Ford is a better choice for me.

Let know how you like the Sportsmobile pop-top. Ford charges over $5,200 for the high-top roof option. At that price the pop-top looks like a very affordable alternative. I like the way a pop-top looks and it could help with the MPGs. I think with the Espar gas heater keeping warm with the pop-top would not be a problem. Hope to see you soon.

Mike 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users