• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

We're picking up our 7' CO at the factory in June...  Still pondering, and need to call Bryan tomorrow, whether or not to add the optional boat rack.  We have two light weight kayaks, one of which I use for fly fishing in lakes.

What is your experience?  I'm tempted because we have a beautiful lake campground up in the mountains, just under one hour from home?   I probably wouldn't do long distance trips with the kayaks on top, because of wind resistance, but am definitely thinking about it for a shorter trip...

Would appreciate your wisdom.

#2 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

I have the rack on my 76 8' CO and I love it, can use it for solar panels as well.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#3 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

I'd go with the boat racks as you never know when they might come in handy and installing them now is easy for Bryan to do.  I picked up our 10ft Alaskan Cabover from Winlock last May and struggled with adding the boat racks.  In our design we have an AC and 2 Zamp solar panels up there so most of the real estate is taken up.  I too fly fish mountain lakes and have decided to use www.bucksbags.com (float tubes) to fish out of and will store them along with other items in a soon to be fabricated back porch.  All the best....The Alaskan Camper folks are awesome to work with.  

Edited by popRoid, 10 March 2019 - 08:14 PM.

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#4 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:51 PM

I have the rack on my 76 8' CO and I love it, can use it for solar panels as well.

How do you handle getting boats on an off?  it's quite a ways up there...  Do you bring a small ladder along?  I'm not concerned about weight, because our kayaks are light, but wondering about access to make sure they're strapped down tightly.

#5 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

I'd go with the boat racks as you never know when they might come in handy and installing them now is easy for Bryan to do.  I picked up our 10ft Alaskan Cabover from Winlock last May and struggled with adding the boat racks.  In our design we have an AC and 2 Zamp solar panels up there so most of the real estate is taken up.  I too fly fish mountain lakes and have decided to use www.bucksbags.com (float tubes) to fish out of and will store them along with other items in a soon to be fabricated back porch.  All the best....The Alaskan Camper folks are awesome to work with.  

I use my float tube as well, but am thinking about using the Kayak and then my wife and I will each have our boats...

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

Art,

Ask Bryan about Yakima Tracks. I’m not sure they can do that on their roof design, but I find them versitile and handy.

I am haunted by waters

#7 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:23 AM

Yes it is very high up on top of an Alaskan Camper and probably my boat racks are just extra bling and will serve no purpose but if I were to access them I'd use a telescopic ladder.  

Other than the standard Alaskan factory equip I did the following changes:

1) Increased water tank to 34 gal by changing a few floor measurements

2) Placed 2 additional COMBO 12V/ USB chargers for total of 3...one under the step wing in the dinette area and another external under the refrigerator access panel.

3)  Installed a PlatCat heater (http://www.ventedcatheater.com/heaters) which burns far less propane and electric than forced air units.  I have both heaters in mine....the forced air warms things up real quick and then the placat takes over.

4) Installed a cell phone booster antenna on the real external wall (https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com) and a wifi booster  antenna on the rear wall (https://www.radiolabs.com).

5)  Installed a larger Novakool refrigerator (3.5)  without a freezer 

6)  Beefed up the cabinet facings on the water tank wall and in front of the dinette to 3/4 in for the potential install of a Lagun table (https://www.lagunusa.com)

7)  Used Progressive Insurance to insure the camper....they seemed to be the best overall at RV's & will insure for the full invoice amount.  

8)  Blackout curtains on all windows and door

9)  Increased size of propane tank to 30 lbs.

10)  LED lights at back porch and on side wall where awning is installed

11)  Installed 2 Lifeline AGM batteries (210 amp hours each) from www.impactbattery.com to compliment the solar panels

If you have questions on the above just ask Bryan to look up my order....Lloyd Anderson//Seneca, South Carolina

All the best on your build....Lloyd

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#8 BobcatBob

BobcatBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:38 AM

ArtTrec, I would vote on having the factory add the boat rack brackets. 

I just purchased an '04 8' CO.  It came with boat racks, that the second owner told me the original owner hauled a 13' boat on them.

The original owner sold the camper in 2017 when he was 82 years old.  I'm not sure how he loaded and unloaded his boat, but after inspection of the top there were no dents or dings indicating it was difficult.

I removed the racks in order to cover the camper until I can be sure it's all sealed up good on top,

Removal was easy.  Each bracket was held on with 2 studs, each 1/4" x 1".

If you were to not get the factory racks installed and decide to install them later yourself, I think putting the studs in could be a problem.  

Good Luck on your decision. bcb

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QCSB 4x4 CTD/Auto 

1996 GMC CC 2500 4x4 8' bed with 8' 2004 CO.  Camper has been mounted on this truck since new.  3rd Owner.

#9 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

My Alaskan has the racks on it, probably from the factory. I think if you ever consider mounting anything up there, the factory install would be the way to go. You just don't want to start drilling holes and maybe cutting through the wiring or something in there! In addition to using them as boat racks, I think you might decide to rig up a canopy off to one side so having the racks to tie off to makes sense unless you are ordering a factory awning mounted on it.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#10 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the wisdom!  I really appreciate the chance to put a topic out there and read everybody's perspectives.  If I were going with a boat rack, I'd definitely go with a factory install.  In the end, I've just decided to take along my float tube for fly fishing...

Later...

Art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users