17 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:26 PM

Lots of old classic skis there, Patrick. :)

After the Lady's four knee surgeries, we no longer ski the resorts, back when Christmas Day or Super Bowl Sunday used to provide no crowds. She is saving what is left of her knees for hiking and backcountry skiing. We skied yesterday, she is off skiing with two friends again today. She still carves all the teles she wants in the backcountry.

The confession. We are no longer skiing on three pin bindings; no more ski 3 pin. I have mounted G3 Targa cable bindings to our skis. We have joined the ranks of the cable folks. This was a couple years back. I noticed the cables yesterday as we snacked below the top of Brown Mountain.

We are keeping the name. :)

Julie loved her old pair of the original - two color - T2's. After going through, wearing out, several of the newer Scarpa versions, she has settled on the T4 as they are so similar to the old T2's. I just bought a pair of T4's last year.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:54 PM

Ski, I just gave up my 3pins (classic cross country version) a couple of years ago. Haven't looked back. Glad you are keeping the name.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#13 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:08 AM

Hi Ski3pin
Your both out there making it happen what ever name you go by. That's what really counts.
G3cablekids comes to mind if a change were in your future, but I favor the original also.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:20 AM

I wonder how many pairs of backcountry/teli skis this group has.... almost all of mine are cable bindings, maybe one or two with pins.

I am haunted by waters

#15 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:58 AM

Pins or no pins....

Free the Heel and Free the Mind!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:43 AM

Pins or no pins....

Free the Heel and Free the Mind!

We had a dear friend, a crotchety old guy, he was our backcountry skiing mentor. When I'd call to put together teams for a search and rescue callout, he would always give a yes. He was solid, dependable.  He gave Julie the nickname, "ski3pin". We gave him the nickname, "Old Free Heel".

The search for him was one of the last we took part in. We were the ones who discovered him missing from his mountain cabin.

There are a lot of memories wrapped up in names.......................

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

I find that dropping a knee with cables tougher than using my Alpine bindings at a resort. Must be my couch potato training regimen.
Bittersweet about the search for your mentor, but I’ll bet you smile when you think of him.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

For explanation:

The good old days...................................................

ShadowLake-Feb2016-031-copy.jpg

the new tradition............................................

Orion-Trail-10Mar2019-013-copy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users