• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:55 AM

My 2017 Ford F150 has an AC 110V 400 Watt Max Power Outlet in the cab as well as a 12 Volt DC power point.  I have an e-bike with a Bosch battery that, ideally, I’d like to recharge when driving the truck while on vacation.  I’m interested in getting input from anyone versed in electrical matters than I am on whether it is a good idea to plug the charger into the truck while driving.   Details below from the Ford Manual and also specs on the back of the battery charger..  

In addition, I’m also considering purchase of a Dometic Electric Cooler from REI to use when towing my 1971 Airstream.  It would ride in the trailer and plug into the 12 volt receptacle.  Once camped, I’d plug into AC and also move stuff over to a 2-way refrigerator.  Specs shown on the vintage Airstream Univolt are also shown below.  Lastly, what about plugging the cooler into either the 12 volt DC receptacle or the AC receptacle in the truck while driving when not towing the trailer.  The Ford manual say to not use the AC for a compressor refrigerator.  Thoughts about using the DC port in the truck?

Any input on these issues is greatly appreciated.

TK

Ford F150 Truck Manual

- 110 Volt - 400 Watt AC Power Outlet only works when vehicle is running
- Maximum output of 400 watts when in park
- While in drive, the maximum output is 300 watts

It also says you can use the 400 watt power outlet for electric drills, rechargeable power tools, video games, Laptops & Televisions.
It say you cannot use it for a variety of things including or compressor driven refrigerators.

- 12 Volt DC Power Outlet for 12V power appliances with maximum current rating of 20 amps
- Do not use the power point over vehicle capacity  of 12 volt DC 240 watts or a fuse may blow.

Airstream Univolt

Input Volts: 120AC 60 Cycles
Output Volts: 13.5 DC
Output Amps: 30 Amp

Bosch E-Bike Battery Charger   (The Bosch Battery is a 500W battery)

Input 110 - 240V ~ 50/60Hz 1.6A
Output 36V - 2A

Dometic CFX65W

Input voltage (AC) 120-240 V
Input voltage (DC) 12/24 V
Rated input current (AC) 0,85 A
Rated input current (DC) 8.2 A
Input frequency 50/60 Hz
Energy Consumption 12VDC (Ambient@90F, Internal@41F) 0.85 Ah/h

OR

Dometic CFX75 DZW

Input voltage (AC) 120-240 V
Input voltage (DC) 12/24 V
Rated input current (AC) 0.74 A
Rated input current (DC) 7.9 A
Input frequency 50/60 Hz
Energy Consumption 12VDC (Ambient@90F, Internal@41F) 1.30 Ah/h

Edited by TGK, 12 March 2019 - 05:58 AM.

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

First off, thank you for providing good detail  with your question  :) 

In short, I think its a great idea but the best way to know is to try it.

It makes perfect sense to charge an E Bike while driving. I've done it but with a bigger inverter. Your EB charger specs at ~176 Watts (110 V x1.6 A) so you should be good there. Only caution I'd give is I've read on the Superduty forums a number of complaints about the oem inverter, mostly disappointment with what it can power (hence the "try it").

Both 12VDC receptacles have healthy capacity (20, 30A). I've powered our portable from the console power port both driving and parked. Only caution is the draw is not continuous, the compressor cycles as required, and the start up current will be higher than running current. But I think you will be fine with a 20A service. Keep a spare fuse for the receptacle and fridge power cord. And check that the plug doesn't get to warm. Also if you need an extension cord it should be a HD one.

Using the oem inverter for the fridge (110v) might work, in theory you have more watts avail, but will loose some in the fridge conversion to DC for the compressor and unsure how the power management in the truck would handle the start up current.

#3 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the input.  So, for the e-bike battery in the truck I have no choice but to use the AC port.  However, for an electric cooler, if in the trailer the 12V connection is my only option but in the truck, I can go either way.  Having said that, it appears 12V for the cooler is the best option if charging in the truck.  Another source I spoke with suggested if I have the trailer hooked up, that is the preferred place to connect the cooler. 

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:03 AM

.. it appears 12V for the cooler is the best option if charging in the truck. 

Agree

Another source I spoke with suggested if I have the trailer hooked up, that is the preferred place to connect the cooler.

Agree. The trailer interior is possibly cooler and there will be no noise heard. We used to shuttle the frig between cab and camper for those reasons. One thing to consider tho is if you can supply the trailer with the additional needed power. At the consumption specs listed that prob won't be a problem. But it might turn out to actually be more, IDK.

#5 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:12 AM

Just to clarify, does your reference to getting more power to the trailer while towing pertain to the concern mentioned in your first post about start up current when first underway?  What are options for getting more power to trailer short of upgrading to a bank of 6 volt batteries?

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:42 AM

TGK, sent you a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users