#1 No longer here

No longer here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

Thought I would share this here.

When I ordered my Four Wheel Camper back in October I got the expensive rear rack for the maxtrax and the fuel cans. I figured what was a few more bucks on top of everything else. Several months later I get the camper and it has no rack. Upon asking I find out there were production delays and they have no idea when it will arrive but will get it to me when it's made. This was not right.

Meanwhile on the other side of the internet, I see a FWC Instagram influencer who picked up a new camper within 3 days of us with the rack from the same supplier....I guess they got my rack....but I digress the supplier took care of me in other ways.

I contacted the company, and they are refunding me my money. I took the cash and built a far lighter, more modular, and just as heavy duty rack for much less than the heavy powder coated steel unit costs.

The fuel cans are from my motorcycle, but will work until I can get the bigger one. Picking up some Maxtrax next week, and will probably mount those in a similar fashion as the cans.

The trasharoo also works well as it does not contact the camper at all. The lower rail ends at the 45 degree slope. 

Score!!!

i-27fpvG3-L.png

Edited by The Raven, 14 March 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#2 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:06 PM

That’s awesome! I am nearly finished making one up myself. I used steel, so it will be a bit heavier, but it came in at 420 dollars less than having one built. I’ll do a picture soon.
Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#3 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:59 PM

I made one out of square aluminum stock that mounts to the jack brackets. Holds MaxTraxx, fuel and water and a bike rack. I probably have less than $200 in the rack and it just survived a 7500 mile trip, including significant off road sections.D703C05A-B016-4D8D-98A4-F22574B7CA1A.jpeg

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:15 AM

Question... how much was the rack that was ordered with the FWC?

ADDED... And the price quoted just for the rack? or included the maxtrax and gas cans holders and cans?  Thanks

Edited by pvstoy, 16 March 2019 - 03:06 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:19 PM

Nice job on those DIY racks guys :)

Companies who produce a product need to be aware that customers have a limit to the inconveniences and money output they will tolerate. I am all for the DIY approach :)

Often the DIY item is built better, nearly always cheaper and with our personal needs in mind.

It's great to have these examples to use in case anyone here needs or wants to try one of these projects :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:05 AM

I have a similar rack (idea shamelessly stolen from someone on WtW, unfortunately I have forgotten who) which is made out of 80/20 aluminium T-slot.   I am note sure why you would need to have someone 'build' such a rack, you can buy which ever profile of 80/20 you need: 

https://8020.net/fra...d-profiles.html

They will even cut it to length for you.  You then need a couple of T-nuts and bolts to attach to the jack brackets:

And finally some more T-Nuts and what ever other hardware needed to attach your doodads:

IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_1140 (1).jpg

I think it was about $100 total and the beauty is that it is completely reconfigurable - if you want to change doodads down the line, you can just slip in (or move) the T-nuts, add cross braces etc. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:48 AM

Rando do you think it is ok to mount 35 pounds of Maxtrax (4 boards) and 2 full 5 gallon gas cans in A/T gas can holders by just mounting off the jack brackets?  Seems like a lot of weight.  Opinions?

Hawk Flatbed year 2015.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Those jack brackets carry the weight of the camper when it’s on the jacks. It’s probably one of the strongest parts of the camper.

#9 No longer here

No longer here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

I have a similar rack (idea shamelessly stolen from someone on WtW, unfortunately I have forgotten who) which is made out of 80/20 aluminium T-slot.   I am note sure why you would need to have someone 'build' such a rack, you can buy which ever profile of 80/20 you need: 

They will even cut it to length for you.  You then need a couple of T-nuts and bolts to attach to the jack brackets:

And finally some more T-Nuts and what ever other hardware needed to attach your doodads:

I think it was about $100 total and the beauty is that it is completely reconfigurable - if you want to change doodads down the line, you can just slip in (or move) the T-nuts, add cross braces etc. 

Oh wow!!  I LOVE the sliding booster antenna. That is now on my to-do list!! I made mine out of the 80-20 as well, as that is what frontrunner, prinsu and rhinoracks do. It's modular and can buy the accessories from them if you want. Shipping took a while but worth the wait.

#10 No longer here

No longer here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

Question... how much was the rack that was ordered with the FWC?

ADDED... And the price quoted just for the rack? or included the maxtrax and gas cans holders and cans?  Thanks

If I recall it was $525+/- it was steel and did not include anything (I assumed it did given the price and was a little miffed when I realized what I was actually getting. :/

Edited by The Raven, 17 March 2019 - 02:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users