15 replies to this topic

#1 Anchored nomad

Anchored nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:12 AM

So I am really trying to understand why so many people are against having propane in your camper? If you have a CO and CO2 detector in camper what is the reason people are so against it?

#2 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:35 AM

If you are speaking about a propane heater, the detectors do work. For me the main issue can be excess condensation.

I have a regular furnace that is vented, but also have a wave six catalytic that I will use to augment heat in the winter. 

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#3 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

If you are talking about storing a propane tank in a camper, then because propane tanks are designed to vent into the atmosphere when certain conditions increase the internal pressure of the tank above the designed specs, then the tank needs to be in a compartment which is sealed and vented to the outside to prevent propane from entering the living area. The propane detectors are installed in the living area to alert you if you have a leak or inadvertently turn on a propane appliance and it does not light.

If you look at any camper or RV, the factory propane tanks are always either in a sealed compartment vented to the outside or completely mounted outside.

Wango is correct regarding vented furnaces and non vented furnaces such as the Wave as they relate to condensation. Typically vented furnaces do not create condensation, non-vented catalytic heaters, create water vapor as a byproduct of combustion and therefore condensation.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

Propane tank inside - too dangerous, above responses about cover it.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

I think a lot of people think of propane vs. diesel. Propane is more flammable than diesel and theoretically could be more dangerous. I look at the millions of RV's using propane without issues though. Rarely is there any problem. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:47 PM

More likely is an auto accident while travelling.  Of course, that's no reason to be careless with propane.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Stitch

Stitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPeyton, Colorado

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:50 PM

Might help if you clarify the question czukie. Are you talking about storing your propane tank inside the camper or using a propane device inside the camper?
2004 Hallmark Guanella on a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

#8 Danneskjold

Danneskjold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:05 AM

An added plus of storing the tank outside of the camper (I use the jack brackets) is it frees up valuable space inside.

#9 Anchored nomad

Anchored nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

The question at hand was referring to storing an 5lb propane tank in the camper in order to fuel the stove (and possibly a heater)...I guess my confusion is; how is this any different than when individuals who are living in a can are storing their propane in their "camper"

Edited by czukie, 17 March 2019 - 08:56 PM.

#10 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:25 AM

I believe venting is the main issue,  all propane tanks have some sort of blow-off or pressure relief valve. This help accommodates for variation in temp and air pressure to ensure the tanks never become over pressurized. PV=nRT from chem class. 

Although rare, I do believe it is all about safely venting when the tanks bleed off excess pressure as they are designed to do. 

Also, so 1st responders can quickly access your tank but that is hopefully that never needs to happen.

I'm no expert in any of this. And did have my 20lb tank in my camper for awhile while I rebuilt my camper, but it now lives in its outside box. 

Best of luck. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users