35 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

Fun in the sun got me thinking I really should be wearing a hat outdoors. Any favorites?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

The REI Sahara Outback Cape Hat has been my sun hat for camping and hiking for a long time.

5b42245b-91b9-4915-95ee-5be0c8932b95.jpg   b24770e7-c9b4-4e03-af6c-cd313310456b.jpg

In fact, I think I'm on my third.  I lost the first one, (took it off in the shadows of Santa Elena Cyn, Big Bend NP, set it down on a rock...and forgot it) and I bought a third so I would have one that didn't have massive sweat stains -- for formal use. :D

I like the neck-protecting cape, and sometimes use it in severe sun, though I usually have it tucked away in the brim.

Recommended!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

Craig, I just posted a link on the Fun in the Sun thread. I like the Sun Day Afternoon hats.

Mine have the massive sweat stains Mark mentions... :P

I am haunted by waters

#4 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

The best sun hat is one you'll wear - I became a believer after some skin cancer scares a few years ago...my go to hat is my Outdoor Research Sombriolet.  Breaths good, covers well, and dries quickly (such as mine a dunk in the Lamar River last fall).  Also machine washable, for the aforementioned sweat stains :) 

https://www.outdoorr...p/2434410008008

I recently bought a back-up to keep in the camper  Every now and then they go on clearance for last year's colors.  BUT the camo ones are not the same nylon/polyester mix and are cotton, so keep an eye out.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

For cooler weather, I’m thinking about an Akubra with a 4” brim.

BE4CC1E8-9056-4039-8C92-01DF1F3EEA97.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#6 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:28 PM

Many folks wear the Tilley hats which come in several different ventilation styles.  Tilly's do not work well in the wind but are more comfortable for the campground.  

The Outback Trading Company River Guide hats have stiffer hat brims and work better in the wind when hiking the high country.

Both are available at amazon and Tilley is available at many sporting goods stores.

I wear only the River Guide hat and my wife uses either depending on the wind.

I strongly recommend getting a brim hat with a chin strap/string for high country hiking.

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:22 AM

I have several Tilly hats. Their manual recommends sizing the hat for comfort rather than a tight fit to keep it on your head. Use the chin strap to keep the hat on your head in the wind. That has worked for me so far. It would be nice to find a high visibility model. Sometimes, that is what I need.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Military adopted the "Bonnie" hat during Viet Nam conflict for various reasons.  But, it has stood out as a favorite for keeping the sun off the face, ears and neck.

Aussie's call it the "Giggle" hat.  You see boonie/giggle hats all over the Outback.

Today, there are many variants made of high tech fibers enhancing UV protection.

Having recently had a basal cell removed form my nose, I need to adopt a better hat (always worn baseball style hats) and wear better (and reapply more often) sunscreen with a higher UV protection rating.

Protection is a multi-faceted approach, just not clothing, but, sunscreen and avoiding exposure at higher (and lower) latitudes and elevations during high sun angles on clear days.  But you can burn on cloudy days as well.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

I still have a couple my old BLM "Boonie" hats ( based on us. military type head gear)  that served me well since the 1980's!  There  are always couple of old baseball caps some where in the camper  and my winter "Mad Bomber"pile cap just in case I get stuck in a snow storm..

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 18 March 2019 - 03:04 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

My family grew up making hats. Been around all sorts most all my life. Personally I believe a quality “cowboy” hat is the best overall option. Good ones are not cheap but the best value in the long run. I have a 100% beaver that I wear as a work and recreation hat all winter and even well into the summer. Great for shedding sun, water, snow, etc. water will not hurt it and is so comfortable I forget it is there until I take it off. It would cost me close to $800-$1000 to replace it and I certainly will when (if) the time comes. I have it for 20+ years, had it refurbished twice with new hatband and lining and it still probably has another 29 years left in it. When the weather gets really warm I have a couple of straw hats but my favorite is a “panama” that can be rolled up. Again, not cheap but a good value in the long run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users