• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

I have the Outdoor Research Helios and one of their Sun Runner models as well (baseball style with neck protection) also a selection of ball caps and trucker hats.

I really prefer something that doesn't have a brim in the back unless I'm hiking.  In and out of the truck, driving and whatnot I find the full brim distracting and trying to shoot photos with any kind of hat on can be a piece of pocket bread.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#22 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

The best sun hat is one you'll wear - I became a believer after some skin cancer scares a few years ago...my go to hat is my Outdoor Research Sombriolet. Breaths good, covers well, and dries quickly (such as mine a dunk in the Lamar River last fall). Also machine washable, for the aforementioned sweat stains :)

https://www.outdoorr...p/2434410008008

I recently bought a back-up to keep in the camper Every now and then they go on clearance for last year's colors. BUT the camo ones are not the same nylon/polyester mix and are cotton, so keep an eye out.

I’ll second the OR Sombriolet.
I bought it several years ago for a float trip through the Gramd Canyon where it got over 110. Have been using it ever since.

Edited by smlobx, 19 March 2019 - 03:41 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#23 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:40 PM

Don’t forget...

“He who enters covered here
Buys the house a round of cheer”

Steve, and I did that very thing (intentionally of course) my last day active duty in the Corps...with my squadron buds and a few others, set me back ~$250!  Coin well spent!

South Carolina Low Country.  

#24 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:01 AM

A Marine might as well be considered naked if outside without a cover (hat)!....

Don’t forget...

“He who enters covered here
Buys the house a round of cheer”

Couple years ago I visited a friend who was temporarily living on the 29 Palms USMC Base (MCAGCC). The first time to the commissary (aka, base supermarket), as we entered, my friend turned to me and told me to remove the ball cap I was wearing. I hesitated, and he said, "Seriously -- required".   So I took my cap off. 

As we left the store I noticed the poster outside the doors indicating what types of clothes (no tank tops) and shoes (no flip-flops) were acceptable in the store. 

And no hats on the head.

:)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#25 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

The Outdoor Research and REI hats are suspiciously similar.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#26 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

The Akubra Territory arrived today. Looks like very good quality. Ignore the old man under the cover.

C50ADBE6-7A9A-42AB-B783-3E07C08040C7.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#27 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

I wear hats almost every time I step out the door.  Either for warmth due to being a wee thin on top or, having been a redhead, for shade from the sun.  My crushable hat that packs well is a Wallaroo Explorer.  Also have one of their Jaspers, which is a more rigid style.  I recently picked up a Tula Gardener with a 4" brim.  All of the Tula hats are handwoven from palm in Mexico.  In addition, most all of the hats from these companies are SPF rated for sun protection.

#28 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:40 PM

I think wide-brimmed hats are very good "covers" where you aren't moving through the trees and brush. They keep the direct rays of the sun from burning your face, ears and neck. Critters that might drop down on you will probably not get into your hair and the sun protection is very good from mid-morning to mid-afternoon.

Some prefer a baseball-type hat with a rear flap but that leaves your ears exposed and part of your neck.

I think where you are going to be traveling may dictate if a baseball hat, a GI boonie hat or something along the lines of a stylish Akubra shown above would be what your need. I like the boonie (ugly but efficient) because you can cram it into anything and it looks as bad as it did before you treated it that way...

For around camp. maybe a plain-old baseball hat but if I was going to be doing a lot of hiking where shade from trees was not available, then the full brimmed hat style would be good.

I think the baseball style hats with the "beavertail" soft neck protection are great. Nothing like a sunburned neck and ears to ruin a night's sleep!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#29 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:51 PM

I also wear baseball style caps frequently, particularly if it's windy.  If in intense sun, to keep the side of my face protected I sometimes wear a bandana under the ball cap & draped down the back and side of my head.  Forgot to mention that all 3 of the brimmed hats I mentioned in my earlier post have relatively stiff brims that will not flex or blow up in a moderate wind.

#30 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

REi paddling hat, covers well, floats, machine washable and not expensive.

Whatever hat style you like, my goal is for sun protection.

A string is a must as the wind sends them as a sail. As windy day back up the string end is looped through the top shirt button or pack strap.

Some people with less side head hair avoid the vented mesh as it allows the sun to burn the skin.

Edited by pvstoy, 24 March 2019 - 10:14 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users