13 replies to this topic

#11 tbug

tbug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCarefree, Arizona

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the great review and straight forward information.

I have a similar experience with previously owning a FWC and even a Northstar and this time going to Palomino mainly because of how out of control the prices are on some of these truck campers.  This time I ordered a SS 1240 Badlands to be ready the end of this month.  It will be on a Ram 3500 diesel.  I'm all for quality, technology and comfort features, but I want to get a sense that I am getting a fair deal.  I am not willing to pay north of $30K for one of these units.  It is getting out of control.

I am a bit prejudiced on Palomino's lack of quality from previous owner's reports over the years.  Since it had been years since I looked at their campers I thought I'd take a fresh look.  Today, I think they have made several improvements to their product improving its overall integrity.  I was actually surprised.  I hope this unit meet my needs with minimal issues, but only time will tell. 

I'll take a road trip to Indiana to pick it up in a few weeks and will report back.

#12 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

Looking forward to it, tbug!

All-

For readers wanting more on the SS1240 Badlands Edition, here's a well-executed video tour of one.  The tour guide provides a lot of helpful detail on features...

Interesting!  Electric roof lift, windows all around the top, north-south Serta mattress with deep lockers beside it, storage under the bed, Dometic 3-way fridge, Suburban stove top, Suburban NTQ series furnace, Girard tankless water heater, 100-watt flexible solar panel, single battery with outside-the-camper tray for a second one, (no info on converter/charger), etc.  It's under $15K, 1900#.

-----------

One of the things I like about watching videos like this is they sometimes bring to light things I hadn't thought much about... like this one...

At 6:09 our tour guide describes disconnecting the front truck-to-camper cable "when you want to park overnight at a Walmart" and says that's to allow you to run the camper off its battery with no draw from the truck. That suggests you'd want to do that anytime you're not camping with shorepower.  Personally, I think the holder's just there to keep the cable end out of the way for loading.  And if you ARE going to disconnect, wouldn't you pull the back one?  In any case, I've not seen that disconnect-when-off-grid recommendation.

But it does raise an important issue for anyone using the receiver-hitch plug to connect truck and camper batteries:  Is your 7-pin connector's +12 (aux) pin powered all the time?

If so, we have to think through the ramifications.  Does the camper have some type of battery separator?  The tour-guide's advice to pull the plug suggests it does not in this case.  I'd expect to find the +12 pin on the camper's 7-pin connector is wired to the battery's positive post.  And that could lead to a dead truck battery-- like the Ram 3500 owner in this RVnet thread learned. 

So the tour guide's recommendation to pull the plug is a MANual battery separator.  (And you are the MAN or woMAN doing the separating!).  (The RVnet thread discusses several alternatives)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#13 Limestone cowboy

Limestone cowboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:09 PM

Is that a 6.5 ft truck bed?  If so how does the 550 sit in the bed, is the left over space in the rear, leaves the tailgate on?

#14 HandTurkee

HandTurkee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:35 AM

Yes, 6.5. The camper overhangs a few inches so cannot leave tailgate on

Is that a 6.5 ft truck bed? If so how does the 550 sit in the bed, is the left over space in the rear, leaves the tailgate on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users