18 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:52 AM

We got away for a quick two night adventure in California's historic Mother Lode. The story and photos are now posted to our blog and can be found here -

Columbia State Park California - March 2019

You are most welcome to come along and we hope you enjoy! <_<

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for the report!  And most of all best wishes to Ted!

We are planning our first get away in quite a while as well.  We didn't receive the quantity of snow you did but it's had the same effect.  Time to head to the lower country for a quick trip!

All that snow blowing got me to wondering when you expect to see the ground again.  

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#3 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

The link doesn’t work for me.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

Mr 3Pin, great report! What a wonderful historical site! Thanks for letting us tag along.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:26 PM

Wow, you guys did it again-you keep bringing back those memories of a past life and times. Yep-In the dark ages, I once lived in the Yankee Hill Campground in Columbia and went to Columbia JC for a while (to sort of warm my mind before I went back to school full time) and I started to commute from there  to Stanislaus State College. Living there among all that history was something  else and yes history does repeat itself because several years and many adventures later, I found myself right back in that area again, when I went to work for the BLM full time in the old Folsom BLM District.  Those were the days so thanks for taking  me along those streets and sights again!

So glad to hear Ted is doing well  so I'm a wondering if it is time to head out and see if our local wolf pack is doing well. Ted,  the local paper has not listed their obit yet so me thinks they are! My truck and camper are cleaned out and ready to head out (Bob is a little slow now, but still game for a little adventure). Lot's of snow and mud out there so I  don't think you can get up into the Diamond Mtn area from either side to look  but I wonder if the road into Crater Lake (Lassen County, Ca) is open yet?  Almost time to try Butte Creek CG and the north Lassen Park area too!  Spring field time is here again :D and the sun is out too! Again really enjoyed this TR!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 21 March 2019 - 03:33 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

Great report Ski. Thanks for sharing.

We did the same outing for the inaugural run of our ATC Panther back in October of 2015.

Too bad about your Tuttletown camping experience. We got lucky. When we were there in 2015 it was a couple weeks after the Butte Fire and the reservoir was somewhere around 15% capacity. As a result it was almost like boon-docking, we were the only ones in camp for two nights.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Ski,for the stories. Another place we have also enjoyed,fond memories.

One of the first times in that area, we camped in the old PG&E campground under the 49 bridge now flooded by the lake.

Actually back in the 90s when the lake was down to the original lake you could see the area where then camp was.

Great to hear Ted is doing well.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the good wishes. It is so good to be able to get out and about again. And we couldn't ask for better company to share this big step with. I will continue to receive chemo through most of the summer but with this test trip a success we are already planning our next outing.

Smokecreek, I think it will be June before Crater opens up. But some of the lower areas in LNF should be accessible by May. I'll let you know if we head up that way.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:59 AM

Must be forty years since I've been to Columbia. Do they still have gunfights?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:43 AM

Stage coach rides, yes; didn't see or hear any gunfights. I think, nowadays, you have to go to Tombstone.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users