The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:28 AM

Well....kinda

According to the latest research:

People can sense Earth’s magnetic field, brain waves suggest

A new study hints that humans have magnetoreception abilities, similar to some other animals
Maria Temming, ScienceNews, March 18, 2019

So...as soon as I can get in touch with my inner compass, I can free up a spot in my 10 Essentials.

B)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

I'm going to blindfold the Lady, take her outside, turn her around several times, and have her point where she thinks north is and the repeat several times; our own little homemade experiment. When we are done, I know she'll want to do it to me. It will be something fun to do get us through another sloppy, snowing, wet day.

I enjoyed the article, thanks for bringing it to our attention. :)

My take, of course we can feel the workings of the earth around us. It's our home. Most are just multitudes of generations away from using/trusting/honing these long lost skills.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

...My take, of course we can feel the workings of the earth around us. It's our home. Most are just multitudes of generations away from using/trusting/honing these long lost skills.

Yeah, I think that makes sense.  And studies of birds' navigation give enough evidence of a magnetic "sense" that we don't need to believe in anything mystical or "alternative" to buy into this.

So...how did your experiment go?  Still analyzing the data?

I spent most of my adult life doing experiments...and the results weren't real until I made a PowerPoint slide about it. :D

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

—snip—

So...how did your experiment go?  Still analyzing the data?
I spent most of my adult life doing experiments...and the results weren't real until I made a PowerPoint slide about it. :D

We used to say that status reports going up the management chain got filtered through multiple application of PowerPoint until all actual status content was removed. :P

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

We used to say that status reports going up the management chain got filtered through multiple application of PowerPoint until all actual status content was removed. :P

Paul

It wasn't unusual for a manager to say: "I want a slide that shows..."  And at least one person heard "...thatshows" as "nachos".  So from then on we referred to a manager-requested slide as a "nachos slide".

#6 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Will "snow birds" go north in the winter when the earths magnetic poles reverse?

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

Nope :D

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

I've always followed my nose, it knows where to go. Unless my wife tells me different.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users