12 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

A USFS friend sent me the link below because she knows how excited I get about "five needle" pines. Be sure and watch the video at the bottom of the page -

High Elevation Forest Monitoring

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:09 AM

Thanks Ski.Very interesting video.

I really like the Foxtail pine.

I think they are what we see up on Ebbetts Pass area.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:57 AM

Good article. We have lost thousands of acres of whitebark here in the northern rockies. Some are still hanging on and are cherished.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

We like to finish off our Spring Mammoth Mtn session with a ski down Whitebark Bowl. I’ve always noticed the trees along the ridge line but now I’ll go over and really check them out. Thanks for the video!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

Well done and interesting feature!  Ya can't manage resources of any type w/o knowing what's there first and their condition-sounds  like a logical way to manage stuff, but those programs are one of the first things cut when budget cuts hit field agencies. Got my start as a fed many years ago doing inventory and setting up monitoring programs with BLM/FS and NPS because congress (it actually worked sometimes  back then) passed something called FLPMA (Federal Land Planning Management Act)  that required the BLM to inventory and set up mgt plans for all those public lands not managed by the USFS and NPS (who had the same types of directives and regs).  Those approved management plans and their successors today are some  of the major reasons that our public lands have not been mostly destroyed and or sold off to the highest bidder as certain administrations over the years have tried to do. Sorry about the political comment but w/o projects like this one there would be no mgt plans and no places to play and WTW.....

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 27 March 2019 - 04:34 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:15 PM

Well done and interesting feature!  Ya can't manage resources of any type w/o knowing what's there first and their condition-sounds  like a logical way to manage stuff, but those programs are one of the first things cut when budget cuts hit field agencies. Got my start as a fed many years ago doing inventory and setting up monitoring programs with BLM/FS and NPS because congress (it actually worked sometimes  back then) passed something called FLPMA (Federal Land Planning Management Act)  that required the BLM to inventory and set up mgt plans for all those public lands not managed by the USFS and NPS (who had the same types of directives and regs).  Those approved management plans and their successors today are some  of the major reasons that our public lands have not been mostly destroyed and or sold off to the highest bidder as certain administrations over the years have tried to do. Sorry about the political comment but w/o projects like this one there would be no mgt plans and no places to play and WTW.....

Smoke

Great comment IMO Smoke.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

Our ecosystems are so incredible. I am in awe every time I travel through them, especially the high elevations. We have a grove of Western White Pines (another 5 needle pine) near Blue Lakes that is monitored. Rumor has it, the world's largest may be there. The more we learn........................how could we ever be so short-sighted to take any of this for granted. I love this stuff. :)

Good article. We have lost thousands of acres of whitebark here in the northern rockies. Some are still hanging on and are cherished.

We like to finish off our Spring Mammoth Mtn session with a ski down Whitebark Bowl. I’ve always noticed the trees along the ridge line but now I’ll go over and really check them out. Thanks for the video!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

Mr. Smoke, you are right in line with what I have heard from many others who have worked, or still do, in the agencies. Good comment, thank you!

Smoke

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:10 AM

My dad worked in the blister rust control program when he was a young man. Pulling gooseberries. Program ended in 1967. We visited a friend in Lake Tahoe when I was very young and I remember my dad getting out and the first thing he says is "you've got blister rust (or maybe it was gooseberries) ". 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:37 AM

Years ago I had a forest geneticist ski with me along the crest. He spotted a white bark pine that, to his expect eyes, was resistant to blister rust and asked me to put an x on the topo for its location. He came back for seed when the snow was gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users